How Far Apart Are the Masses on the Dumbbell-Shaped Flywheel?

• Thread starter Noctix
  • Start date
In summary, a 1.0-kg mass attached to a string wrapped around a shaft with a 6.0cm radius is released from rest and falls 1m to the floor, reaching a speed of 2.68 m/s before impact. A dumbbell-shaped "flywheel" made of two 0.500-kg masses attached to the shaft perpendicular to its axis is involved in the calculation. The radius of the flywheel should be denoted as R, while the shaft should be denoted as r. The kinetic energy of the flywheel and the weight should be equal to the potential energy of the weight. The radius of the flywheel should not be ignored, and the kinetic energy of the dumbbells
Noctix

Homework Statement

A 1.0- kg mass is attached to a string wrapped around a shaft of negligible mass and having a 6.0cm radius. A dumbbell-shaped "flywheel" made from two 0.500- kg masses is attached to one end of the shaft and perpendicular to its axis. The mass attached to the string is released from rest and allowed to fall 1m to the floor. It reaches a speed of 2.68 m/s just before striking the floor. How far apart are the masses of the dumbbell?

Homework Equations

(between dumbells) I=mr2

m1=flywheel

m2=weight

The Attempt at a Solution

KE(flywheel) + KE(weight)=PE(flywheel)+PE(weight)

the height of the flywheel is 0(right?), so i can take out PE(flywheel).

then I set up 1/2Iw2 + 1/2m2v2 =m2gh

i then change 1/2IW2 to 1/2mr2v2/r2 which then becomes 1/2m1v2

i feel like something is really wrong here because my radius's cancel and those are what I'm solving for. also, i never used the given radius of the shaft, so i think I'm missing something there too. Do I have to include some kind of kinetic moment of inertia equation for the weightless shaft(i didn't think so because m=0...or maybe i just ignore m)? also, do i need the regular kinetic energy 1/2mv2 of the dumbells along with their other kinetic energy 1/2Iw2??

Thank you a thousand times in advance for the help, it's greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I drew a picture of the problem. Please help, I really need it. :(

[PLAIN]http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/2420/physicsm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Noctix! :smile:

(btw, edit your first post rather than reply to it … members are far more likely to answer threads with zero replies! :wink:)
Noctix said:
the height of the flywheel is 0(right?), so i can take out PE(flywheel).

That's right … PE only involves the centre of mass, and that stays in the same place! :smile:
i feel like something is really wrong here because my radius's cancel and those are what I'm solving for. also, i never used the given radius of the shaft, so i think I'm missing something there too.

hmm … careless notation :redface:

use r for the radius of the cylinder, and R for the radius of the flywheel, and everything should be ok! :wink:
Do I have to include some kind of kinetic https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=31" equation for the weightless shaft(i didn't think so because m=0...or maybe i just ignore m)?

No, when exam questions tell you that something is "weightless" or "light", that means you can ignore it.
also, do i need the regular https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=132" 1/2mv2 of the dumbells along with their other kinetic energy 1/2Iw2??

No, they're the same thing.

The KE of a rotating body is the rotational KE about the centre of mass, plus the KE of the centre of mass (which is zero in this case, since the centre of mass isn't moving).

(or it's the rotational KE about the centre of rotation)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the distance between dumbbells?

The distance between dumbbells can vary depending on the type of workout and the individual's preferences. Typically, dumbbells are spaced at shoulder-width apart to allow for proper form and stability.

2. Why is the distance between dumbbells important?

The distance between dumbbells is important because it can affect the effectiveness and safety of your workout. If the dumbbells are too close or too far apart, it can put strain on your muscles and increase the risk of injury.

3. How do I determine the correct distance between dumbbells?

The correct distance between dumbbells can be determined by experimenting with different spacing and finding what feels comfortable and stable for your body. It is important to also consider the type of exercise you are performing and maintain proper form.

4. Can the distance between dumbbells change for different exercises?

Yes, the distance between dumbbells can change for different exercises. For example, for bicep curls, you may want a wider distance between dumbbells to target different muscles, while for tricep extensions, a narrower distance may be more effective.

5. Is there a standard distance between dumbbells for all exercises?

No, there is no standard distance between dumbbells for all exercises. The distance can vary based on individual preferences, body size and type, and the specific exercise being performed. It is important to find the right distance for your body and the exercise to ensure proper form and safety.