1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance between lines

1. Aug 3, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In R3, consider the line l given by the equations {x=t,y=t,z=t} and the line m given by the equations {x=s,y=2s-1,z=1}. Let P be a point on l, and let Q be a point on m. Find the values of t and s that minimize the distance between the lines by minimizing the squared distance abs(P-Q).

2. Relevant equations

[P] = A(ATA)-1AT

3. The attempt at a solution

Let the basis for l be span{(1, 1, 1)} and the basis for m be span{(1,2,0),(0,-1,1)}

From here on I actually don't know what to do:( Do I have to apply the formula to both lines?

Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2011 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi derryck1234! :smile:

what's the difficulty? :confused:

P is (t,t,t) and Q is (s,2s-1,1), so minimise PQ2 (as the question says :wink:)

4. Aug 3, 2011 #3
    Ok. But are you saying that I should use calculus to do that? Because in my textbook, whenever we need to use calculus, the question has a line before it saying: FOR THOSE READERS WHO HAVE STUDIED CALCULUS...

This one doesn't?

To be honest, I don't even think I remember how to do it...would it entail working out abs(P-Q), then finding the derivative and then setting it to zero?

Thanks

Derryck

5. Aug 3, 2011 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  6. Aug 4, 2011 #5
    Thanks tiny tim. I do hope my correspondence maths course goes ok. It is not easy let me tell you...doin maths via correspondence:( Especially in South Africa!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook