Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance between peaks?

1. May 17, 2005 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2005 #2

JamesU

Gold Member

What is that?

4. May 17, 2005 #3

LURCH

Science Advisor

That is a gap between two sets of rings around Saturn. In the gap is a small moon long theorised but only recently spotted (by Cassini).

5. May 17, 2005 #4

JamesU

Gold Member

ah-ha!!! :rofl:

6. May 17, 2005 #5
    Apparently it's the Keeler gap in Saturn's rings, complete with a newly discovered moon (S/2005 S1, or "Wavemaker") that orbits there and seems to make the pretty scallops in the ring edge.

The moon is 7km in diameter, and the image resolution is about 1.5km per pixel. However, I don't know what angle the image was taken from, so you can't conclude too much just from that.

SolarViews.com article

I can't get a reliable source for the size and position of the Keeler gap.
    The best I can do is 30-50km wide, and about 250km from the outer edge of the A ring.
    If that's so, then there is a bit of an angle to the image, and the resolution in the plane of the ring is maybe 2km per pixel vertically. Horizontally is still unknown, but the moon isn't terribly distorted, so the stated resolution of 1.5km per pixel seems reasonable.

This makes the ring scallops in the order of 100km long, and 10km deep.

Hope this helps!

7. May 18, 2005 #6
    Almost a year!
    Cassini imaged the anomalies in the Keeler gap edges in July '04. The anomalies looked similar to those in the Encke gap caused by Pan, leading to the (obvious?) guess that another moon lived in the Keeler gap.

8. May 18, 2005 #7

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

The gaps between the rings appear to be accreting masses.

9. May 18, 2005 #8

That helps me a lot, thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?