What is the distance between peaks in this Cassini image?

• Thread starter Arctic Fox
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around an image of Saturn's rings, specifically the Keeler gap, and a newly discovered moon called "Wavemaker" that orbits within the gap. The size and position of the gap and moon were discussed, with estimates ranging from 30-50km wide and 250km from the outer edge of the A ring. The resolution of the image was also mentioned, with a stated resolution of 1.5km per pixel. The conversation also touched on the accreting masses within the gaps between the rings. Overall, the conversation provided information about the size and features of the Keeler gap and the newly discovered moon within it.
Arctic Fox
I'm looking at this image:

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/images/cassini/2005-05-10/pia06237-browse.jpg

And was wondering what the distance between the peaks would be, as well as the peaks and low differences.

Anyone in the know about this?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What is that?

That is a gap between two sets of rings around Saturn. In the gap is a small moon long theorized but only recently spotted (by Cassini).

ah-ha! :rofl:

Apparently it's the Keeler gap in Saturn's rings, complete with a newly discovered moon (S/2005 S1, or "Wavemaker") that orbits there and seems to make the pretty scallops in the ring edge.

The moon is 7km in diameter, and the image resolution is about 1.5km per pixel. However, I don't know what angle the image was taken from, so you can't conclude too much just from that.

SolarViews.com article

I can't get a reliable source for the size and position of the Keeler gap.
The best I can do is 30-50km wide, and about 250km from the outer edge of the A ring.
If that's so, then there is a bit of an angle to the image, and the resolution in the plane of the ring is maybe 2km per pixel vertically. Horizontally is still unknown, but the moon isn't terribly distorted, so the stated resolution of 1.5km per pixel seems reasonable.

This makes the ring scallops in the order of 100km long, and 10km deep.

Hope this helps!

long theorized
Almost a year!
Cassini imaged the anomalies in the Keeler gap edges in July '04. The anomalies looked similar to those in the Encke gap caused by Pan, leading to the (obvious?) guess that another moon lived in the Keeler gap.

The gaps between the rings appear to be accreting masses.

PeteSF said:
This makes the ring scallops in the order of 100km long, and 10km deep.

Hope this helps!

That helps me a lot, thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. :smile:

What is the distance between peaks?

The distance between peaks refers to the distance between two consecutive peaks in a wave or signal. It is usually measured in units of length, such as meters or kilometers.

How do you calculate the distance between peaks?

To calculate the distance between peaks, you can measure the distance on a graph or plot of the wave or signal. Alternatively, you can use mathematical equations such as wavelength = speed/frequency or period = 1/frequency to calculate the distance between peaks.

What factors affect the distance between peaks?

The distance between peaks can be affected by various factors, including the speed of the wave or signal, the frequency of the wave or signal, and the medium through which the wave or signal is traveling. It can also be affected by external factors such as interference or obstructions in the path of the wave or signal.

What is the significance of the distance between peaks?

The distance between peaks is an important measure in understanding the properties of waves and signals. It can provide information about the frequency, wavelength, and speed of a wave or signal, which can have implications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and telecommunications.

Can the distance between peaks change?

Yes, the distance between peaks can change depending on the factors that affect it. For example, if the frequency or speed of a wave or signal changes, the distance between peaks will also change. Additionally, external factors such as interference can also alter the distance between peaks.