Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance between strings

1. Oct 21, 2010 #1
    Hi,
    I would like to know what is the distance between strings (or average distance) ?
    and also in what manner are the strings spread across space? are they spread evenly ? can i find the exact amount of strings in any given location?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2010 #2
    By strings do you mean cosmic strings?

4. Oct 21, 2010 #3
    The term "string" as in string theory doesn't refer to a 1-dimension string, but instead, the appearance of unidimensionality at a distance, but where multi-dimensionality may exist upon closer inspection. Indeed, one axiom is that we simply cannot observe a string's compactification of extra dimensions using current technology, else we would have found them already, and since we haven't...

5. Oct 22, 2010 #4
    Sorry i wasn't clear about this, by strings i do mean cosmic strings.

i would think that strings would have a representation in our large 4 dimensional universe.

isn't there a theory of how far apart (or close) is one string to the next? isn't it something like Planck's constant or something in the order of Planck's constant?

thanks

6. Oct 22, 2010 #5
  7. Oct 23, 2010 #6
    I guess the answer i was looking for was Planck Length since it's the closest physical distance allowed between any two particles, right?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook