Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance between subspaces

1. Apr 11, 2010 #1
    Let´s suppose we are given two subspaces of [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex] that have dimension k, where [itex]1\leq k<n[/itex]. I think they are called grassmanians.
    How can I compute a "distance" between two different k-subspaces?

my attempt to a solution:
    As a toy example, for n=2 and k=1 we can use the minimum angle between the unit-vectors u and v:

In order to extend this to more dimensions I used the definition of scalar product used in Geometric (Clifford) Algebra, which is:

[tex]\ast : \wedge\mathbb{R}^n \times \wedge\mathbb{R}^n \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex]

[tex]A\ast B=(a_1\wedge\ldots\wedge a_k)\ast(b_1\wedge\ldots\wedge b_m)=det[m_{ij}][/tex] ; for [tex]k=m[/tex]
    [tex]A\ast B=0[/tex] ; for [tex]k\neq m[/tex]

where the (i,j) element of that matrix is [tex]m_{ij}=<a_i,b_j>[/tex].
    Is that correct?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2010 #2
    How do you define "distance"?
  4. Apr 12, 2010 #3
    I thought of quantifying the "distance" between the subspaces with the minimum angle between them (see the toy-example in 2-dimensions in my first post).

The scalar product (and contraction) introduced in Geometric (Clifford) Algebra is used to compute the angle between subspaces of same (or different) dimensions.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook