1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance between two atoms

1. Oct 23, 2008 #1
    The distance between a carbon atom (m = 12.0u) and an oxygen atom (m = 16.0u) in the CO molecule is 1.13×10-10 m. How far from the carbon atom is the center of mass of the molecule?

I know i have to found out the CM,

but the center of mas is cm= (r1m1 + r2m2)/(m1+m2)

and i dont have the radios of the twoatoms.... how could i do that?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look up your cm formula. The r1 and r2 are not the radii of the atoms. What are they?

4. Oct 23, 2008 #3
    ok, i mean the position of the atoms, but there the exercise doesnt told me the psoition...

5. Oct 23, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It told you the distance between the atoms. Put the origin of your coordinate system anywhere you want. Write down the position of the atoms in that coordinate system and find the coordinate of the center of mass. Then figure out how far it is from the carbon atom.

6. Oct 23, 2008 #5
    ty... i figure out the coordinates system in the origin of one atom and calculate the CM since that point an gets the corrects anwer... ty a lot... can u help me with other problems a posted in a new topic?..

7. Oct 23, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. Maybe not tonite. It's late. Other people can help you too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?