Modifying a Car: 0-47 mph Distance Covered

• Thread starter 99precision
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about modifications to a car with a 2.0 L, 4 cylinder engine producing 146 hp. The car has a curb weight of 1418 kg and can reach 0-60 mph in 8.6 seconds and 0.25 mile in 16.7 seconds with a top speed of 81.8 mph. The question is asking for the distance covered from 0-47 mph. The suggested approach is to use the 1D kinematic equations and convert speed to meters per second. However, it is noted that a car does not undergo constant acceleration.
99precision
First, I am not a student. I'm looking to do some modifications to a car and I'm not sure what to do.

Homework Statement

a 2.0 L, 4 cylinder engine w/ 146 hp

curb weight = 1418 kg

0-60 mph time of 8.6 s

0.25 mile time of 16.7 s at a top speed of 81.8 mph

What distance (miles) would be covered going from 0-47 mph?

Homework Equations

1 hour = 3600 s
60 mph = 0.0167 miles/s
47 mph = 0.013056 miles/s

The Attempt at a Solution

where do I go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org

I cannot provide specific modifications for your car. However, I can offer some suggestions on how to approach this problem. First, it is important to understand the relationship between acceleration, time, and distance covered. This can be represented by the equation d= 1/2at^2, where d is distance, a is acceleration, and t is time.

Based on the given information, we can calculate the average acceleration of the car from 0-60 mph using the formula a= v/t, where v is velocity and t is time. This would give us an average acceleration of 6.98 m/s^2.

To determine the distance covered from 0-47 mph, we can use the formula d= 1/2at^2 again, but this time we will use the time it takes for the car to reach 47 mph, which is 8.6 seconds. Plugging in the values, we get a distance of approximately 163 meters or 0.101 miles.

It is important to note that these calculations are based on ideal conditions and do not take into account factors such as friction, air resistance, and other external forces that may affect the car's performance. Modifying a car can have a significant impact on its acceleration and speed, so it is important to consult with a professional and conduct thorough testing before making any modifications.

1. How does modifying a car affect its 0-47 mph distance?

Modifying a car can significantly improve its 0-47 mph distance. By upgrading the engine, transmission, and other mechanical components, the car can accelerate faster and cover more distance in a shorter amount of time.

2. What modifications can be made to improve a car's 0-47 mph distance?

There are several modifications that can be made to improve a car's 0-47 mph distance. These include upgrading the engine, adding a turbocharger or supercharger, installing a cold air intake, and improving the aerodynamics of the car.

3. How much does it cost to modify a car for better 0-47 mph performance?

The cost of modifying a car for better 0-47 mph performance can vary greatly depending on the specific modifications chosen. On average, it can cost anywhere from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars.

4. Is it safe to modify a car for better 0-47 mph performance?

Modifying a car for better 0-47 mph performance can be safe if done correctly. It is important to consult with a professional mechanic and follow proper safety precautions when making modifications to a car.

5. Will modifying a car for better 0-47 mph performance affect its fuel efficiency?

Yes, modifying a car for better 0-47 mph performance can affect its fuel efficiency. Some modifications, such as adding a turbocharger, can increase fuel consumption. However, improvements in engine efficiency and aerodynamics can also lead to better fuel efficiency.