1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance dependent force

1. Oct 23, 2004 #1
    I’m trying to solve the following problem for a long time:
    There are two charged particles, one doesn’t move, the other is being accelerated and is initially at rest, I would use the particle that doesn’t move as the referential, this referential has only one dimension, how do I find the position as a function of time.
    I tried this approach, by Coloumb’s law the force in the second particle is F=(k*q*Q)/r^2, for simplification I put a C in place of k*q*Q, now I use Newton’s second law, I get a=C/(m*x^2), then I try to put velocity as a function of time, so the work done on the particle as a function of the distance is found by solving the integral of the force as a function of the distance between x and x0(this is the initial position), I got W=(c/x)-(c/x0), knowing that the particle starts at rest, its kinetic energy must be equal to the work done by the electrical force so W=(mv^2)/2, I put velocity as a function of the position, that is v=√((2c/(xm))-(2c/(x0m))), now the idea of all this stuff was to use the relation a=dv/dt to get the position as a function of time, this is what I don’t know how to do and would appreciate someone’s help in solving the problem this way or a different propose for a solution.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2004 #2

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know that from the defintion of accelartion:

[tex]\frac{d^2r}{dt^2} = \frac{C}{mr^2}[/tex]

multiply both sides by [itex]2\frac{dr}{dt}[/itex], integrate with respect to r and take the square root:

[tex]\frac{dr}{dt} = \sqrt{\frac{-2C}{mr} + A}[/tex]

Where A is a constant.

Then it's a case of seperating the variables to solve the equation.

4. Oct 24, 2004 #3
    “Then it's a case of seperating the variables to solve the equation.”
    It is this part that I don’t know how to do, could you solve that, please.

5. Oct 24, 2004 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"Separating the variables" means exactly what it says:
    [tex]\frac{dr}{dt} = \sqrt{\frac{-2C}{mr} + A}[/tex]
    Now get the variable r on one side, the variable t on the other:

[tex]dr= \sqrt{\frac{-2C}{mr}+A}dt[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{dt}{\sqrt{\frac{-2C}{mr}+A}}= dt[/tex]

and integrate both sides.

6. Oct 25, 2004 #5
    Could you explain to me how you passed from [tex]dr= \sqrt{\frac{-2C}{mr}+A}dt[/tex]
    to [tex]\frac{dt}{\sqrt{\frac{-2C}{mr}+A}}= dt[/tex]
    , when you talk abut integrating the last equation e have no problem integrating the right side, but on the left side there is a dt so the independent variable is t, and I am to solve the integral between two instants t, but on the function that is being integrated there is no t, this doesn’t makes sense to me.
    I’m sorry if I am doing trivial questions, but I know few about calculus, thanks for your help and patience.

7. Oct 25, 2004 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It's quite simple; HallsofIvy made a typo.
    On the left-hand side, it should be dr not dt

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?