Can the Law of Cosines Solve the Distance Difference Problem?

• Thread starter daviddoria
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a function that satisfies the condition of f(d1-p)=f(d2-d1)=f(d3-d2) and produces the same value for f(p,d1) and f(d2,d1). The Pythagorean theorem is suggested as a possible solution, but it requires knowledge of p. The use of the law of cosines is also mentioned as a potential solution.
daviddoria
See the image in the attached document. I am looking for a function which will make
[tex]f(d1-p)=f(d2-d1)=f(d3-d2)[/tex] (see the very last part of the document)

I thought it would be as simple as dividing by the angle between the lines, but that doesn't seem to work. Is it reasonable to do this?

Thanks,

David

Attachments

• spacing.pdf
    64.9 KB · Views: 178
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I guess even better would be some transform of each distance, so that:

[itex]f(d1)-f(p)=f(d2)-f(d1)[/itex]

of course f() may not be exactly the same function, it may depending on the position (i.e. it could be

[itex]f(d1)-f(p)=g(d2)-g(d1)[/itex]

or something like that).

I guess another way to say it is:

"I need a difference function which will produce 'x' for f(p,d1) and also produce 'x' for f(d2,d1)"

Use the Pythagorean theorem:

f(di) = sqrt(di2 - p2) = i·x

This gives f(d1) = x, f(d2) = 2x, f(d3) = 3x, etc. I.e., it is the distance from where line p meets the plane to where line di meets the plane, which you have set up to be simply i·x in your figure. This satisfies your condition:

f(d1) - f(p) = f(d2) - f(d1) = f(d3) - f(d2) = constant = x

Gah, you are right. However, this requires I have p. What if I don't have p?

I'm not sure you can do this without knowing p.

What information do you have?
How do you get the values of the di's to begin with?
How do you plan to evaluate f(p) without knowing p?

I think it works if you just use the law of cosines. See attached.

Attachments

• spacing.pdf
    63.3 KB · Views: 166

1. What is the distance difference problem?

The distance difference problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the difference between two distances. It is commonly encountered in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation.

2. How is the distance difference problem solved?

The distance difference problem can be solved using various methods, such as using the Pythagorean theorem, trigonometric functions, or vector operations. It ultimately depends on the specific scenario and the given information.

3. What are some real-life applications of the distance difference problem?

The distance difference problem has numerous practical applications, including determining the relative position of objects in space, calculating the distance between two points on a map, and measuring the difference in time between two events.

4. What are some challenges when solving the distance difference problem?

One of the main challenges when solving the distance difference problem is having incomplete or inaccurate information, which can lead to incorrect calculations. It is also essential to use the appropriate method and formula for the given scenario to obtain an accurate solution.

5. How can the distance difference problem be used in research and experiments?

The distance difference problem is often used in research and experiments to measure and compare variables, such as distance, time, and speed. It can also be used to analyze patterns and trends in data, making it a valuable tool in various scientific fields.