1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance from gamma ray?

1. Mar 24, 2010 #1
    Given the energy if sun were to instantly vaporize (using E = mc^2) = 2.7 x 10^47 J
    ( E = (mass of sun) * c^2)

how far would one have to be from a gamma ray burst is order for the average power from it to be equivalent to the average power from the sun's radiation at the earth (solar constant, 1300 watt/m^2)

I understand the problem, but I can't seem to find a formula that would solve for distance using units of the solar constant. The only thought I have is using the potential energy formula, but that is joules. Any hints on what formula to use? or solving it could also be helpful :-)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2010 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is weird, I don't think the problem is solvable as written.

I guess the idea here is that the energy would be radiated evenly in all directions. So at a distance r from the sun, the energy is spread evenly over a spherical surface of radius=r.

However, if the vaporization takes place "instantly", that implies Δt is zero hence infinite power.
  4. Mar 27, 2010 #3
    ahh yes sorry, I miss read the question but your technique is correct. I ended up getting the solution, the energy was 5 * 10^46 and it lasts for 120 seconds.

I didnt get around to editing the post, sorry about that.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook