Calculating Distance for Equivalence of Gamma Ray and Solar Radiation Power

In summary, the problem presented involves finding the distance from a gamma ray burst where its average power is equivalent to the average power of the sun's radiation at the Earth. However, it is unclear if the problem is solvable as written, as the energy would be radiated evenly in all directions and the vaporization taking place instantly implies infinite power. The poster later clarified that the energy is 2.7 x 10^47 J and lasts for 120 seconds.
Stephen_D
Given the energy if sun were to instantly vaporize (using E = mc^2) = 2.7 x 10^47 J
( E = (mass of sun) * c^2)

how far would one have to be from a gamma ray burst is order for the average power from it to be equivalent to the average power from the sun's radiation at the Earth (solar constant, 1300 watt/m^2)

I understand the problem, but I can't seem to find a formula that would solve for distance using units of the solar constant. The only thought I have is using the potential energy formula, but that is joules. Any hints on what formula to use? or solving it could also be helpful :-)

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
This is weird, I don't think the problem is solvable as written.

I guess the idea here is that the energy would be radiated evenly in all directions. So at a distance r from the sun, the energy is spread evenly over a spherical surface of radius=r.

However, if the vaporization takes place "instantly", that implies Δt is zero hence infinite power.

ahh yes sorry, I miss read the question but your technique is correct. I ended up getting the solution, the energy was 5 * 10^46 and it lasts for 120 seconds.

I didnt get around to editing the post, sorry about that.

1. What is "distance from gamma ray" and why is it important in scientific research?

"Distance from gamma ray" refers to the distance between a source of gamma rays (such as a star, supernova, or black hole) and the point at which the gamma rays are detected. It is an important measurement in scientific research because it helps us understand the nature and behavior of these high-energy particles, which can provide valuable insights into the structure and evolution of the universe.

2. How do scientists measure the distance from gamma ray sources?

There are several methods for measuring the distance from gamma ray sources, including triangulation using multiple detectors, analyzing the energy and intensity of the gamma rays, and using parallax measurements with telescopes. These methods allow scientists to calculate the distance based on known mathematical relationships and physical properties of gamma rays.

3. Can gamma rays travel through infinite distances?

No, gamma rays cannot travel through infinite distances. Like all forms of electromagnetic radiation, gamma rays become weaker and eventually dissipate as they travel through space. This is due to interactions with interstellar gas and dust, as well as the expansion of the universe itself.

4. How does the distance from a gamma ray source affect its impact on Earth?

The distance from a gamma ray source has a significant impact on the level of radiation that reaches Earth. The farther away the source is, the weaker the gamma rays will be when they reach us, resulting in a lower impact on our atmosphere and environment. This is why the distance from a gamma ray burst (a powerful explosion of gamma rays) is a major factor in determining its potential effects on Earth.

5. Is there a maximum distance that gamma rays can travel?

Yes, there is a maximum distance that gamma rays can travel. Due to the interactions and dissipations mentioned earlier, there is a limit to how far gamma rays can travel before becoming too weak to be detected. This distance is known as the horizon distance and varies depending on the energy and intensity of the gamma rays.