1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance from plane to origin

1. May 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the distance D from the origin of any point (x , y , z) lying on the plane x + y + z= 1 satisfies
    D^2 + x^2 + y^2 +(x + y -1)^2 .
    By considering partial derivatives, find the point that is closest to the origin. Prove that this distance is genuinely minimal.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I did the first part. Knowing Distance is D^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2 then by re-arranging x + y + z =1 to -z = x + y - 1.
    z^2 = (-z)^2 = (x + y - 1)^2
    D^2 = x^2 + y^2 + (x + y - 1)^2
    Not sure how to do the next part. How does considering partial derivatives help me find a point closest to the origin?
    Any help would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Shouldn't this be an equation? Namely, D^2 = x^2 + y^2 +(x + y -1)^2.

You have D2 as a function of x and y. You're looking for the smallest value of D2 from the origin to the plane. You can use partial derivatives to find the minimum point in a way analogous to finding the minimum value of a function of one variable (i.e., finding the derivative, and setting it to zero to get the critical points, and then checking with the second derivative to see if you have a local maximum or local minimum).

4. May 25, 2009 #3

chiro

Science Advisor

The distance from a plane P to the origin is equal to a.x + b.y + c.z = d where <a,b,c> is
    a normal vector and d is the distance to the origin.

We do this through the notion of a Euclidean Inner Product. Basically what happens here is
    that in three dimensional geometry we express the inner product in the form of
    <a,b> = |a||b|cos(a,b) where |a| is the length vector of a and |b| is the lebgth vector of
    b. cos(a,b) is the cosine of the angle between a and b is denoted in that way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook