Distance Learning in Mathematics: Get Ahead Now!

• Thread starter Jeff Ford
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses options for distance learning programs in mathematics. The University of Minnesota offers limited classes, while Brevard Community College in Florida and Ellis College in New York offer more extensive programs. The University of Wisconsin also has a distance learning option for a math degree.
Jeff Ford
I'm currently studying mathematics on my own, since it will be another 2 years or so before I can return to school full time. I'm looking for schools that offer classes in mathematics at a distance, trying to get some actual credits taken care of in advance.

The University of Minnesota offers somestuff, but they only have four classes.

If anyone knows of a good distance education program in mathematics, please let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org

Try Brevard Community College in Florida @ brevardcc.edu. They offer Calculus through Calc 3, Linear Algebra and Differential equations. I'm taking an online course there now and am favorably impressed by both their staff and their software.
Good luck to you

Ellis College in N.Y has an online bachelor degree in Interdisciplinary Studies with a math/physics concentration. They are fully accredited but I do not know if you can use it to go on to a post-grad degree. I'm trying to figure out the best path for distance learning myself.

http://www.metrostate.edu/

In Downtown St. Paul. You can earn your entire math degree via classroom through night classes.

http://distancelearning.wisconsin.edu/search_results.cfm?subid=199

university of wisconsin distance learning

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is distance learning in mathematics?

Distance learning in mathematics refers to the process of learning and teaching mathematics through online platforms, rather than in a traditional classroom setting. It allows students to access course materials, interact with instructors, and complete assignments remotely, making it a convenient option for those who cannot attend regular classes.

2. What are the benefits of distance learning in mathematics?

Distance learning in mathematics offers several benefits, including flexibility in terms of scheduling and location, as well as the ability to work at your own pace. It also allows students to access a wide range of resources and tools, such as video lectures, interactive simulations, and online forums, to enhance their learning experience.

3. How does distance learning in mathematics differ from traditional classroom learning?

Distance learning in mathematics differs from traditional classroom learning in that it takes place entirely online, with no face-to-face interactions with instructors or classmates. This means that students must be self-motivated and have good time management skills to succeed. Additionally, distance learning often utilizes different instructional methods, such as virtual labs and online quizzes, to engage students.

4. Is distance learning in mathematics as effective as traditional classroom learning?

There is ongoing debate about the effectiveness of distance learning in mathematics compared to traditional classroom learning. However, numerous studies have shown that distance learning can be just as effective, if not more so, when it is well-designed and implemented properly. It also offers the advantage of allowing students to access a wider range of resources and collaborate with peers from different locations.

5. How can I get ahead in mathematics through distance learning?

To get ahead in mathematics through distance learning, it is important to establish a schedule and stick to it, stay organized, and actively participate in online discussions and activities. It is also helpful to seek support from instructors and classmates when needed, and to take advantage of additional resources, such as online tutoring or review sessions, to enhance your understanding of the subject.