Distance Math Learning | 11th Grade | International Courses

• Thread starter 2sin54
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing options for international distance courses in mathematics for an 11th grader. The options mentioned include Stanford's EPGY program and Khan Academy. The topic of specific math levels is also brought up, with Khan Academy offering up to calculus and some universities, such as Athabasca and TRU, offering high school level courses at reduced rates.
2sin54
I am in 11th grade right now (two years left in school) and I want to ask you, if there are any international courses on Mathematics which are being taught in distance.
Or maybe they send theory + exercises and problems, and students need to solve those till a specified date (this would be even better)? Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of mathematics?

Perhaps Stanford's http://epgy.stanford.edu/courses/math/"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Any kind, just not too high for an 11th grader.

yenchin, thanks, I will check that out.

You might consider using Khan Academy (www.khanacademy.org). They have videos and exercise problems on the site.

Also, "any kind" is way too vague. I've seen 11th graders take any math from Algebra 2 to AP Calc BC. Khan Academy has exercises up to about calc 1 at the moment, but they have videos through multivariable calc, linear algebra, and differential equations.

Many universities offer distance courses, some of them at high-school level. In Canada the best well-known is Athabasca (in Alberta), but TRU (in BC) also has some.

http://www2.athabascau.ca/course/ug_subject/im.php

Many will offer reduced rates for students in their own Province. I believe the situation is similar in the US.

1. What is distance math learning?

Distance math learning is a method of learning where students and instructors are not physically present in the same location. Instead, they use technology such as online platforms, video conferencing, and email to communicate and complete coursework.

2. How does distance math learning work?

Distance math learning typically involves students accessing course materials and lectures online, completing assignments and assessments remotely, and communicating with instructors and classmates through virtual platforms. It allows students to learn at their own pace and from any location with an internet connection.

3. Is distance math learning as effective as traditional in-person learning?

Studies have shown that distance math learning can be just as effective as traditional in-person learning when it is well-designed and implemented. However, the success of distance learning also depends on the student's motivation, self-discipline, and access to necessary technology.

4. What are the benefits of distance math learning?

Some benefits of distance math learning include flexibility, convenience, and accessibility. Students can learn from anywhere and at any time, which allows them to balance other commitments and responsibilities. It also eliminates the need for commuting, which can save time and money.

5. Are there any challenges associated with distance math learning?

Some challenges of distance math learning may include technical difficulties, lack of face-to-face interaction with instructors and classmates, and the need for self-motivation and time management skills. However, these challenges can be overcome with proper support and resources from the institution offering the course.