How Far Would You Travel at Light Speed from Your Perspective?

• Thread starter HarryDaniels
  • Start date
In summary, if something travels at light speed for a year, it would feel like a second to the person traveling, but they would never actually measure a year in that time because their clock has stopped. However, if something travels at light speed for a year in their perspective, they would theoretically travel many thousands of light years.
HarryDaniels
A lightyear is a measurement of distance of how far light travels in a year relative to our time frame, correct?
Well, how far does light travel if-hypothetically- it had thought and could determine time. As if I were to travel at light speed for a year it may feel like a second. But, iff I were to travel at light speed for a year in my perspective, how far would I travel?

Physics news on Phys.org
Proper time is what is normally used to distinguish the time a clock moving with an object experiences from what is observed by others. In the situation where we have a rocket moving relative to the earth, the time measured between two events (say, leaving Earth and arriving somewhere else) by those on board the rocket is the proper time. For a photon, or indeed any massless particle, the proper time between any two points on its trajectory is zero.

Last edited:
A light-year is the speed of light multiplied by one year ( velocity x time = distance ).

Nabeshin said:
For a photon, or indeed any massive particle, the proper time between any two points on its trajectory is zero.

Not true. The proper time for a massive object is always non-zero, and zero for massless objects.

Mentz114 said:
Not true. The proper time for a massive object is always non-zero, and zero for massless objects.

Thanks, meant to type massless :) Corrected.

HarryDaniels said:
Well, how far does light travel if-hypothetically- it had thought and could determine time. As if I were to travel at light speed for a year it may feel like a second. But, iff I were to travel at light speed for a year in my perspective, how far would I travel?

If you were to travel at light speed for a year (measured in another frame) it would feel like zero seconds in your perspective. However far you travel you would never measure a year in your perspective because your clock has stopped and the time to get anywhere by your clock is always zero. Of course no observer with mass can travel at the speed of light so this is completely hypothetical.

Now if you meant travel at (nearly) light speed for a year it may feel like a second, then if you were to travel at (nearly) light speed for 1 year from your perspective, then you could in principle travel many thousands of light years (from the perspective of another observer that measures your relative velocity to be nearly light speed) .

So due to the fact that a photon has no mass, it does not feel time?

HarryDaniels said:
So due to the fact that a photon has no mass, it does not feel time?
If something travels at c, then the elapsed coordinate time is always equal to the spatial length of the route. This means the proper-interval, (ct)2-d2 is zero. It is a postulate of SR that we can identify the proper-time as the time shown by clocks on the trajectory of a massive body, but not for objects traveling at c.

So, we can't use SR to answer that question. But if a photon of wavelength L travels a distance d, it will oscillate about 2d/L times, and so maybe it does 'feel' time. Or maybe not.

(Does anyone care ?)?

Mentz114 said:
(Does anyone care ?)?

Shut up and calculate.

1. What is a lightyear?

A lightyear is a unit of measurement used to represent extremely large distances in space. It is defined as the distance that light travels in one year in the vacuum of space, which is approximately 9.46 trillion kilometers or 5.88 trillion miles.

2. How is a lightyear different from a regular year?

A regular year is based on the time it takes for the Earth to orbit around the Sun, which is approximately 365.25 days. A lightyear, on the other hand, is a unit of distance and has nothing to do with time. It is the distance that light travels in one year, not the time it takes to travel that distance.

3. Why is a lightyear used to measure distance in space?

Using a lightyear as a unit of measurement allows scientists to accurately represent the vast distances in space without having to use extremely large numbers. It also takes into account the speed of light, which is the fastest speed possible in the universe.

4. Can anything travel faster than a lightyear?

No, the speed of light is the fastest speed possible in the universe, according to the theory of relativity. This means that nothing can travel faster than a lightyear per year.

5. How long would it take to travel one lightyear?

Since a lightyear is a unit of distance and not time, it is not possible to travel one lightyear in a specific amount of time. However, if we were to travel at the speed of light, it would take approximately one year to travel one lightyear.