1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance of closest approach

1. Jan 25, 2007 #1
    In an electromagnetics question I've been asked to calculate the distance of closest approach of an alpha particle which collides with a lead nucleus, but I've never come across the concept of the distance of closest approach. My book is mute on the subject and google yields nothing but more questions on the matter. What does it be exactly?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You didn't say what information you were given. I suspect you are given KE of the alpha and can assume it is fired directly at the lead nucleus. In that case what is the KE when the nucleus stops it and where did the KE go?

4. Jan 25, 2007 #3
    Oh I ask not for an answer or even a method. My apologies if I was unclear. I'm just unacquainted with the concept of distance of closest approach, and was wondering if I could become acquainted with it?

5. Jan 25, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Isn't "distance of closest approach" self explanatory? Maybe I don't understand your non-question? Can you be more specific?

6. Jan 26, 2007 #5

andrevdh

Homework Helper

7. Jan 26, 2007 #6
    Ah right. There we go. Thanks a lot for that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?