What is the Radial Distance for a Magnetic Field at a 45° Angle in a Solenoid?

In summary, a solenoid with a radius of 7 cm and 10 turns per cm has a current of 20mA running through it. A current of 6 A flows in a straight conductor located along the central axis of the solenoid. If the radial distance from the axis is greater than 7 cm, the direction of the resulting magnetic field will be at 45° to the axial direction.
11thHeaven

Homework Statement

A long solenoid with 10 turns per cm and a radius of 7 cm carries a current of 20mA. A current of 6 A flows in a straight conductor located along the central axis of the solenoid.

Homework Equations

(a) At what radial distance from the axis will the direction of the resulting magnetic field be at 45° to the axial direction?

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know where to start here. The only two equations our lecturer has spoken of are B=(u0I)/(2∏r) for the magnetic field around a conducting wire, and B=Nu0I for the magnetic field strength around a solenoid. I can work out the magnetic field strength due to each, but no idea where to start finding out what the "direction" of the resulting magnetic field will be.

Help appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
hi 11thHeaven! :smile:
11thHeaven said:
A long solenoid with 10 turns per cm and a radius of 7 cm carries a current of 20mA. A current of 6 A flows in a straight conductor located along the central axis of the solenoid.

At what radial distance from the axis will the direction of the resulting magnetic field be at 45° to the axial direction?

I can work out the magnetic field strength due to each, but no idea where to start finding out what the "direction" of the resulting magnetic field will be.

45° means that the axial field and the tangential field must be equal in magnitude :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi 11thHeaven! :smile:

45° means that the axial field and the tangential field must be equal in magnitude :wink:

I'm not entirely sure what is meant by the axial field and the tangential field; could you explain?

the field along the axis, and the field that goes in circles round the axis :wink:

The magnetic field is a vector field. This means that one need to measure its components in 3 directions in order to construct it at any point. The axial measurements give the component along the (z) axis of the solenoid and the tangential measurements will give the other 2 components (x and y) mutually perpendicular to the axial direction. The resultant field in the solenoid will be the vector sum of the two fields, the circular field of the conductor and the axial field of the solenoid.

tiny-tim said:
the field along the axis, and the field that goes in circles round the axis :wink:

Great, thanks a lot :smile:

1. What is the distance of a magnetic field?

The distance of a magnetic field refers to the distance from the source of the magnetic field to the point where the field can be detected and measured.

2. How is the distance of a magnetic field measured?

The distance of a magnetic field can be measured using a magnetometer, which is a device that detects and measures the strength and direction of a magnetic field.

3. Does the distance of a magnetic field affect its strength?

Yes, the strength of a magnetic field decreases as the distance from the source increases. This is known as the inverse square law, meaning that the strength of the field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source.

4. Can the distance of a magnetic field be manipulated?

Yes, the distance of a magnetic field can be manipulated by changing the strength of the magnetic source or by using materials that can either attract or repel the magnetic field.

5. How does the distance of a magnetic field impact its practical applications?

The distance of a magnetic field is an important factor in determining the range and effectiveness of devices that utilize magnetic fields, such as MRI machines and compasses. It is also important to consider the distance of a magnetic field when designing and implementing safety precautions.