1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance of Star Cluster

1. Feb 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An astronomer measures B and V for a large number of stars in a particular star cluster. (All stars in a given star cluster are at essentially the same distance from the Earth.) She then corrects B and V for interstellar absorption, and plots the resulting value of V for each star against its (B-V) colour index.
    She then finds a standard CM diagram of MV vs. intrinsic colour index, (B-V)0, that all stars obey (RH and upper scales in Fig. 16.5), and overlays her observed diagram on the standard diagram. Each star's corrected (B-V) equals its intrinsic (B-V)0, so she lines up the plots so the (B-V) and (B-V)0 scales are equal, and then slides the observed diagram vertically to find the best fit with the standard diagram. At the position of best fit, V = 11.0 on the LH scale lines up with MV = 4.4 on the RH scale. What is the distance to the cluster?
    (The technique described here is called cluster fitting, and provides an accurate way of finding the distance to a star cluster because it averages out the observational variations in the individual stars.)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm somewhat lost, I know I need to find the distance, but not sure how. Does it involve distance modulus? m-M=5logD-5?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted