Distance of Star: Solve Parallax Equation for km & Light Years

• Thread starter radius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stars
In summary: I hope this information is helpful.In summary, the distance to the star in km and light years is 27 km and light years.
radius
please can somebody help me with this parallax equation:

D=distance to star
theta=angle
using the rule D=(d/2)/tan(theta/2)
when d = 300*10tothe6
and theta = 5*10tothe-5

what is the distance to the star in km and light years?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Okay - assuming that you've given the units in kilometres and degrees...

To get the answers in km you should just be able to plug the numbers into a calculator.

To get the answer in light years you have to first calculate how far a light year is (in km, obviously).

Rather than me just giving you the answer, why don't you have a go, then we can see if our answers agree...

Jess

Last edited:
hi there thankyou for your interest in my posting jess

d is in km
theta is in degrees

You'll be wanting to hit 'post reply' rather than 'new thread', then :wink:

Oooh look - we've been moved

Jess

Last edited:
Originally posted by Jess
You'll be wanting to hit 'post reply' rather than 'new thread', then :wink:

Jess

Presto! The threads are merged.

for this answer i get a result of:

So, is this answer the number of km?

what is this answer in exponential form? ie: 34 * 10tothepower13?

1 light year is 9.467*10tothepower12, so in light years i think the distance will be:
27 light years

Please let me know if i am right

Yes, that's the answer in kilometres, and it's the same one that I've got.

34 x 10^13 km is correct as well.

If you take the speed of light to be 300,000 km/s, then a light year is 9.461 x 10^12 km - which looks roughly like what you put.

I get an answer of 36.3 l.y though - you might have typed a digit wrong somewhere, perhaps. Even a back-of-the-envelope type calculation gives an answer of at least 34, if you look closely.

Jess

re

thankyou very much jess!
I need the help for some uni coursework.
p.s. I am from edinburgh too!

This isn't Astronomy 1Ah or 1Ch work, is it?

i study at the university of abertay dundee and travel from edinburgh.
My coursework is from "horizons of science 1".
this module is concerned with the big bang, black holes, telecommunications and cosmological phenomena

Hehe - for a moment there I thought you might be one of my tutees (if that's the right word)

Good luck with the rest of your course...

Jess

1. What is parallax and how does it relate to the distance of a star?

Parallax is the apparent shift in position of an object when viewed from different angles. In the context of stars, it refers to the slight change in position of a star when viewed from different points on Earth's orbit. This shift is used to calculate the distance of a star using the parallax equation.

2. How is the parallax equation used to calculate the distance of a star?

The parallax equation is used to calculate the distance of a star by measuring the parallax angle, which is the apparent shift in the position of the star, and plugging it into the equation: Distance (in parsecs) = 1/Parallax angle (in arcseconds). This distance can then be converted to kilometers or light years using appropriate conversion factors.

3. What unit of measurement is used to express the distance of a star?

The distance of a star is typically measured in parsecs, which is a unit of length equal to 3.26 light years. This unit is commonly used in astronomy as it takes into account the effects of parallax and allows for easier comparison between distances of different stars.

4. How accurate is the distance calculated using the parallax equation?

The accuracy of the distance calculated using the parallax equation depends on various factors, such as the precision of the measurement of the parallax angle and the distance of the star. For nearby stars, the accuracy can be within a few percent, while for more distant stars, the margin of error can be larger.

5. Can the parallax equation be used to measure the distance of all stars?

No, the parallax equation can only be used to calculate the distance of stars within a certain range. This is because the parallax angle becomes smaller and harder to measure accurately as the distance of the star increases. For stars that are too far away, other methods such as spectroscopic parallax or luminosity-distance relationship are used to calculate their distance.