Calculating Changes in Earth-Sun Distance with Varying Sun Mass

• Thread starter Numeriprimi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth Sun
In summary, the angular momentum of Earth is not changed when the mass of the Sun is 15% lower. This is because the centrifugal force is equal to the gravitational force.
Numeriprimi

Homework Statement

Calculate the relative change in the distance of the Earth from the Sun, if the mass of the Sun is 15% lower than today weight of the Sun. Suppose that the Earth moves and will move along a circular path and will maintain its angular momentum.

Homework Equations

Equality of gravitational and centrifugal forces.

The Attempt at a Solution

For mass of the Sun today:
Valid for Earth: The centrifugal force = gravitational force
m_e*(v)^2/r=κ*m_e*m_s/(r)^2
(v)^2=κ*m_s/r

For mass of the Sun when is 15% lower than today weight of the Sun:
Mass and velocity of the Earth does not change because it does not change angular momentum.
m_e*(v)^2/r_1=κ*0,85m_s*m_e*/(r_1)^2
(v)^2=κ*0,85m_s/r_1

Equal squares of velocities:
κ*m_s/r=κ*0,85m_s/r_1
1/r=0,85/r_1

When is r=1 AU, then r_1=0,85AU

Why? I think it's stupid. Why the Earth is closer to the Sun, when the Sun is lighter? I think must be the Earth from the Sun farther, because the gravitational effects diminish. Why my ideas don't coincide with the results? How would you counted it?

Thanks very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Numeriprimi said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the relative change in the distance of the Earth from the Sun, if the mass of the Sun is 15% lower than today weight of the Sun. Suppose that the Earth moves and will move along a circular path and will maintain its angular momentum.

Homework Equations

Equality of gravitational and centrifugal forces.

The Attempt at a Solution

For mass of the Sun today:
m_e*(v)^2/r=κ*m_e*m_s/(r)^2
(v)^2=κ*m_s/r

For mass of the Sun when is 15% lower than today weight of the Sun:
Mass and velocity of the Earth does not change because it does not change angular momentum.
m_e*(v)^2/r_1=κ*0,85m_s*m_e*/(r_1)^2
(v)^2=κ*0,85m_s/r_1

Equal squares of velocities:
κ*m_s/r=κ*0,85m_s/r_1
1/r=0,85/r_1

When is r=1 AU, then r_1=0,85AU

Why? I think it's stupid. Why the Earth is closer to the Sun, when the Sun is lighter? I think must be the Earth from the Sun farther, because the gravitational effects diminish. Why my ideas don't coincide with the results? How would you counted it?

Thanks very much.

The angular momentum is mvr. The product of the radius and speed is unchanged.

ehild

Sorry, but I do not understand you too much. Please, could you explain to me what to fix to make it right in great detail?

The speed of Earth (v) changes. Conservation of angular momentum means that mer v is conserved.

ehild

Well, I get it, thank you very much :-)

1. What is the distance between the Earth and the Sun?

The average distance between the Earth and the Sun is about 93 million miles (149.6 million kilometers). This distance is known as an astronomical unit (AU) and is used to measure distances within our solar system.

2. Does the distance between the Earth and the Sun change?

Yes, the distance between the Earth and the Sun does change slightly throughout the year. This is due to the elliptical shape of Earth's orbit around the Sun. The closest point is called perihelion and the farthest point is called aphelion. However, the difference in distance is only about 3 million miles (5 million kilometers).

3. How long does it take for light from the Sun to reach the Earth?

It takes about 8 minutes and 20 seconds for light from the Sun to reach the Earth. This is because light travels at a speed of about 186,282 miles per second (299,792 kilometers per second).

4. How is the distance between the Earth and the Sun measured?

The distance between the Earth and the Sun is measured using a technique called parallax. This involves observing the position of an object (such as a planet) from two different points and using trigonometry to calculate the distance. This method is also used to measure the distances to other objects in our galaxy and beyond.

5. What effect does the distance between the Earth and the Sun have on our planet?

The distance between the Earth and the Sun has a significant impact on our planet and its climate. The amount of sunlight and heat received from the Sun affects the temperature of the Earth, which in turn affects weather patterns, seasons, and the overall habitability of our planet. The distance also affects the strength of the Earth's gravitational pull, which keeps our planet in its orbit around the Sun.