Distance of throw of water jets

In summary, Mauro is looking for an equation to determine the distance of throw for a water jet in calm air. He is specifically interested in the factors of nozzle diameter, water speed, and angle of the nozzle. He is open to input from anyone with field experience or a theoretical formula. A potential equation for calculating the distance is also mentioned.
mauro
I need to determine the distance of throw of a water jet in calm air(no wind).
Is there anyone who has the equation ready as to say the throw T as a function of nozzle diameter, water speed at nozzle outlet (or pressure at nozzle inlet) and angle of the nozzle?

Thank you for any help you may have for me.

Bye
Mauro

PS How the air slow down a water jet? In case of a slug fired from a gun resistance is 1/2 C(ro)V^2 where ro is air density.
It is common experience to see that water jet trajectory is not simmetrical. The ascending part is much longer than descending side. Since I need to determine the distance of throw for a given jet, simmetrical solutions brings to grossly overestimation of the result.
Is there anyone with field experience, as for example nozzle manufacturers for irrigation purposes, willing to help me?
Or on the contrary a physics amateur with a theoretical formula?

Thank you to you all

Mauro

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have the exit speed and direction, its a simple Newtonian motion equation. You don't need anything else. You can also use pressure to calculate velocity if you need to.

like a projectile with the speed of the water at the exit...nothing else...

I think it is
y=vTsin(Θ)-g(T^2)/2
x=vTcos(Θ)
with v=exit velocity, T=time,Θ=exit angle above horizontal, and g=9.8 m/s^2.

1. What is the distance of throw of water jets?

The distance of throw of water jets refers to the maximum distance that a water jet can reach when sprayed from a nozzle. This distance can vary depending on the pressure, flow rate, and angle of the nozzle.

2. How is the distance of throw of water jets measured?

The distance of throw of water jets is typically measured using a measuring tape or ruler. The nozzle is held at a fixed angle and the distance is measured from the nozzle to the point where the water droplets can no longer be seen.

3. What factors affect the distance of throw of water jets?

The distance of throw of water jets can be affected by several factors, including the pressure and flow rate of the water, the angle of the nozzle, the size and shape of the nozzle, and any obstructions or wind that may interfere with the jet's trajectory.

4. Can the distance of throw of water jets be increased?

Yes, the distance of throw of water jets can be increased by increasing the pressure or flow rate of the water, using a nozzle with a smaller opening, or adjusting the angle of the nozzle. However, increasing the distance may also decrease the force of the jet.

5. Why is the distance of throw of water jets important?

The distance of throw of water jets is important in many applications, such as firefighting, irrigation, and cleaning. Knowing the maximum distance that a water jet can reach allows for efficient and effective use of the water, and can also help determine the necessary equipment and resources for a given task.