How far can a car travel along a parabolic trajectory between two points?

• Thread starter Zeit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding the distance traveled by a car following a parabolic trajectory between two points. The equation for finding the distance on a graph of y = f(x) is given, and a trigonometric substitution is used to solve the integral. The conversation also addresses variations of the equation for different parabolic trajectories.
Zeit
Hi,

I don't know if I'm in the the good section to ask my question, I don't really know which type of mathematics my question is about.

If I'm in a car, according to a parabolic trajectory, which would be the distance traversed by the car between locations A and B?

Thanks a lot

Zeit

NB : Sorry for the mistakes

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your question is not very clear. A car is following a parabolic trajectory with you in it but what(or where) are points A and B? If this question is from some textbook please provide it as it is in the book.

Excuse me, I have some (many) problems to express myself in English.

No, it is not a question from a textbook, but from my mind. In fact, this example of a car is just another way to say : what is the equation to know the distance between any points of a parabola? Not the equation d² = (x'-x)² + (y'-y)², which is for a line, but the "curved distance".

Thanks

You posted this in the "general math" section but the answer requires calculus so this may not help you. This is a definitely "non-trivial" problem!

In general, if y= f(x), the "curved distance" (arclength) on the graph of y= f(x), from (a, f(a)) to (b, f(b)) is given by
[tex]\int_a^b\sqrt{1+ \frac{dy}{dx}}dx[/itex]

In particular, for a "parabolic trajectory", we can take y= ax2 so that [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}= 2ax[/itex] and the integral can be written as
[tex]\int_a^b\sqrt{1+ 4a^2x^2}dx[/itex]

That can be done by a trigonometric substitution: let [itex]2ax= tan\theta[/itex]. Then [itex]2adx= sec^2\theta d\theta[/itex] and
[tex]\sqrt{1+ 4a^2x^2}= \sqrt{1+ tan^2\theta}= \sqrt{sec^2\theta}= sec\theta[/tex]

The integral becomes
[tex]\int_{arctan a}^{arctan b} sec^3\theta d\theta= \int_{arctan a}^{arctan b} \frac{d\theta}{cos^3\theta}[/tex]
Since cosine is to an odd power, multiply both numerator and denominator by [itex]cos\theta[/itex]
[tex]\int_{arctan a}^{arctan b}\frac{cos\theta d\theta}{cos^4\theta}=\int_{arctan a}^{arctan b}\frac{cos\theta d\theta}{(1- sin^2\theta)^2}[/tex]

Now make the substitution [itex]u= sin\theta[/itex] so that [itex]du= cos\theta d\theta[/itex]. The integral becomes
[tex]\int_{sin(arctan a)}^{sin(arctan b)}\frac{du}{(1- u^2)^2}[/tex]
which can be done by partial fractions.
(To find [itex]sin(arctan a)[/itex], draw a right triangle with opposite side of length a, near side of length b, so that the angle is [/itex]arctan a[/itex]. By the Pythagorean theorem, the hypotenus has length [itex]\sqrt{a^1+ 1}[/itex]. [itex]sin(arctan a)= \frac{a}{\sqrt{a^2+1|}}[/itex]. Do the same for [itex]sin(arctan b)[/itex].)

Thanks HallsofIvy for the explanation.

But, in the first equation, you wrote dy/dx. Then, you wrote that because y = ax², dy/dx = 2ax and you substitute dy/dx in the first equation for 4a²x² in the second. My question is : in the first equation, isn't (dy/dx)² ?

[...] the "curved distance" (arclength) [...]

Thanks! :smile:

Zeit said:
Thanks HallsofIvy for the explanation.

But, in the first equation, you wrote dy/dx. Then, you wrote that because y = ax², dy/dx = 2ax and you substitute dy/dx in the first equation for 4a²x² in the second. My question is : in the first equation, isn't (dy/dx)² ?

Thanks! :smile:

Yes it should be.

Hi

In particular, for a "parabolic trajectory", we can take y= ax² so that dy/dx = 2ax

If y has more parameters, like y = a(x-h)²+k, what would be dy/dx? Or if y = ax²+bx+c, would dy/dx equal 2ax+b ?

Thanks

Zeit said:
Hi

If y has more parameters, like y = a(x-h)²+k, what would be dy/dx? Or if y = ax²+bx+c, would dy/dx equal 2ax+b ?

Thanks

That would be correct. And in the first case where you have y = a(x-h)²+k then dy/dx would be 2a(x-h) which shouldn't be hard to see.

Thanks for the answer.

What is distance in physics?

Distance in physics refers to the physical separation between two objects or points. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is often used to measure the length of an object's path or the space between two objects.

How is distance calculated in physics?

In physics, distance is usually calculated using the formula: d = v * t, where d is the distance, v is the velocity, and t is the time. This formula is based on the basic definition of distance as the product of speed and time. Other formulas may be used depending on the specific situation, such as using the Pythagorean theorem for calculating distance in two dimensions.

What are some common units for distance in physics?

The most common units for distance in physics are meters (m) and kilometers (km). Other commonly used units include centimeters (cm) and miles (mi). In some cases, scientists may also use astronomical units (AU) or light-years (ly) to measure larger distances.

How does distance affect other physics concepts?

Distance plays a crucial role in many other physics concepts, such as speed, acceleration, and force. For example, the rate at which an object travels over a distance is known as its speed, and the change in distance over time is known as acceleration. In addition, the force of gravity between two objects is directly affected by the distance between them.

How do you measure distance in physics experiments?

Distance can be measured in physics experiments using various tools, such as rulers, measuring tapes, and calipers. More advanced experiments may use specialized equipment, such as laser rangefinders or ultrasonic sensors, to measure distance with greater precision.