1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance physics question

1. Aug 6, 2006 #1
    Hi,

I don't know if I'm in the the good section to ask my question, I don't really know which type of mathematics my question is about.

If I'm in a car, according to a parabolic trajectory, which would be the distance traversed by the car between locations A and B?

Thanks a lot

Zeit

NB : Sorry for the mistakes

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2006 #2
    Your question is not very clear. A car is following a parabolic trajectory with you in it but what(or where) are points A and B? If this question is from some textbook please provide it as it is in the book.

4. Aug 6, 2006 #3
    Excuse me, I have some (many) problems to express myself in English.

No, it is not a question from a textbook, but from my mind. In fact, this example of a car is just another way to say : what is the equation to know the distance between any points of a parabola? Not the equation d² = (x'-x)² + (y'-y)², which is for a line, but the "curved distance".

Thanks

5. Aug 6, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You posted this in the "general math" section but the answer requires calculus so this may not help you. This is a definitely "non-trivial" problem!

In general, if y= f(x), the "curved distance" (arclength) on the graph of y= f(x), from (a, f(a)) to (b, f(b)) is given by
    [tex]\int_a^b\sqrt{1+ \frac{dy}{dx}}dx[/itex]

In particular, for a "parabolic trajectory", we can take y= ax2 so that [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}= 2ax[/itex] and the integral can be written as
    [tex]\int_a^b\sqrt{1+ 4a^2x^2}dx[/itex]

That can be done by a trigonometric substitution: let [itex]2ax= tan\theta[/itex]. Then [itex]2adx= sec^2\theta d\theta[/itex] and
    [tex]\sqrt{1+ 4a^2x^2}= \sqrt{1+ tan^2\theta}= \sqrt{sec^2\theta}= sec\theta[/tex]

The integral becomes
    [tex]\int_{arctan a}^{arctan b} sec^3\theta d\theta= \int_{arctan a}^{arctan b} \frac{d\theta}{cos^3\theta}[/tex]
    Since cosine is to an odd power, multiply both numerator and denominator by [itex]cos\theta[/itex]
    [tex]\int_{arctan a}^{arctan b}\frac{cos\theta d\theta}{cos^4\theta}=\int_{arctan a}^{arctan b}\frac{cos\theta d\theta}{(1- sin^2\theta)^2}[/tex]

Now make the substitution [itex]u= sin\theta[/itex] so that [itex]du= cos\theta d\theta[/itex]. The integral becomes
    [tex]\int_{sin(arctan a)}^{sin(arctan b)}\frac{du}{(1- u^2)^2}[/tex]
    which can be done by partial fractions.
    (To find [itex]sin(arctan a)[/itex], draw a right triangle with opposite side of length a, near side of length b, so that the angle is [/itex]arctan a[/itex]. By the Pythagorean theorem, the hypotenus has length [itex]\sqrt{a^1+ 1}[/itex]. [itex]sin(arctan a)= \frac{a}{\sqrt{a^2+1|}}[/itex]. Do the same for [itex]sin(arctan b)[/itex].)

6. Aug 7, 2006 #5
    Thanks HallsofIvy for the explanation.

But, in the first equation, you wrote dy/dx. Then, you wrote that because y = ax², dy/dx = 2ax and you substitute dy/dx in the first equation for 4a²x² in the second. My question is : in the first equation, isn't (dy/dx)² ?

Thanks! :smile:

7. Aug 7, 2006 #6
    Yes it should be.

8. Aug 7, 2006 #7
    Hi

If y has more parameters, like y = a(x-h)²+k, what would be dy/dx? Or if y = ax²+bx+c, would dy/dx equal 2ax+b ?

Thanks

9. Aug 7, 2006 #8
    That would be correct. And in the first case where you have y = a(x-h)²+k then dy/dx would be 2a(x-h) which shouldn't be hard to see.

10. Aug 7, 2006 #9
    Thanks for the answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?