Surviving a Sudden Stop: Calculating Airbag Distance

• Thread starter physicsgirlie26
  • Start date
In summary, the human body can survive a negative acceleration trauma incident if the magnitude of the acceleration is less than 250m/s^2. To find the distance needed to survive a crash with an initial speed of 115km/h and an airbag that inflates from the dashboard, one would use the distance formula of vinitialt+1/2at^2 and solve for time by plugging in the given information. This problem requires a more complex answer, so the equations will need to be manipulated and plugged into each other to find the necessary distance.
physicsgirlie26
The human body can survive a negative acceleration trauma incident (sudden stop) if the magnitude of the acceleration is less than 250m/s^2 .

If you are in an automobile accident with an initial speed of 115km/h and are stopped by an airbag that inflates from the dashboard, over what distance must the airbag stop you for you to survive the crash?

I am guessing you would use the distance formula of vintialt+1/2at^2?

Please help me!
thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes you will be using that distance formula but you don't have a time.

So first you need to find the time in which it takes for you to stop.

Which formula would you use? You're given initial velocity, acceleration. and you can guess what the final velocity will be.

Also this problem won't be solved by a straight answer like distance = 3m. What type of answer does it require? (hint: what words are used that hint to a different type of answer?)

Univ. Physics book? lol, i did that prob last week! i'll c u around for sure.

here's my hint, you will need to plug 1 equation into another to get rid of time.

Last edited:

1. How is the airbag distance calculated?

The airbag distance is calculated using the formula d = 1/2 x a x t^2, where d is the distance traveled by the airbag, a is the acceleration due to the sudden stop, and t is the time it takes for the airbag to fully deploy.

2. What factors affect the calculation of airbag distance?

The factors that affect the calculation of airbag distance include the speed at which the vehicle is traveling, the weight and size of the vehicle, and the type and condition of the airbag system.

3. Can the airbag distance be predicted accurately?

The airbag distance can be calculated using mathematical formulas, but it may not always be accurate due to the many variables that can affect the calculation. It is important to note that the airbag distance is an estimate and may vary in real-life scenarios.

4. How can knowing the airbag distance help in surviving a sudden stop?

Knowing the airbag distance can help individuals understand how much space they need to leave between themselves and the steering wheel or dashboard to avoid being injured by the airbag. It can also inform car manufacturers in designing safer airbag systems.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take in case of a sudden stop?

Yes, to reduce the risk of injury during a sudden stop, it is important to always wear a seatbelt, maintain a safe distance from other vehicles, and avoid distractions while driving. It is also recommended to have your airbag system inspected regularly to ensure it is functioning properly.