Solve Distance Problem: Boy Riding Bicycle for 30km

• Thread starter Equilibrium
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a solved problem where a boy on a bicycle is trying to reach a town 30 km away from his home. After riding 10 km, he takes a 30-minute break and continues the rest of the trip at a faster pace. The conversation includes a discussion on the correct formula to use for solving the problem and how to determine the correct value for the velocity. It is concluded that both the original formula and the alternative one provided in the link are correct, but the alternative one is easier to solve. The conversation also mentions a possible error in the original formula and suggests plotting the velocity-time graph to better understand the problem.
Equilibrium

Homework Statement

This problem has already been solved but i got a quite few clarifications:
http://www.algebra.com/algebra/homework/word/travel/Travel_Word_Problems.faq.question.493396.html

"a boy on his bicycle intends to arrive at a certain time to a town that is 30 km away from his home .after riding 10 km, he rested for half an hour and as a result he was obliged to ride the rest of the trip 2km/hr faster ."

Homework Equations

v = d/t
t = d/v

The Attempt at a Solution

Why did he disregard the 10km?
i think the formula should've of look like this:
[tex]\frac{30}{s}=\frac{10}{s}+0.5+\frac{20}{s+2}[/tex]
(total time riding on original speed for the whole trip) = (time riding on original speed (for 10km))+(time rested)+(faster velocity on the rest (for 20km))

the formula he used:
[tex]\frac{30}{s}=\frac{30}{s+2}+0.5[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
He has to go 20km in the time remaining after traveling 10km at the slow speed, and waiting half an hour.

The time remaining is ##20/s = 0.5 + 20/(s+2)## ... agreeing with your formulation.

##40(s+2) = (s+2)s + 40s##

rearranging:
##s^2+2s-80=0##

by quadratic equation:
##s \in \{ 10,-8 \}##

possible answers are 10hr and -8hr ... pick the positive one.
This is the same answer.

So your question is, "how did he know that his version would be correct?"
Try plotting the velocity-time graph.

Last edited:
The solutions to the quadratic equation are +8 and -10.
The solution for the problem is then 8km/h.

In the link given he is solving a different problem. I suppose he did not read the problem carefully.

Did I set up the quadratic incorrectly ...

the discriminant is 324
so ##s =\frac{1}{2}(-2\pm\sqrt{324}=1\pm 9## ... Oh I see: I misplaced a minus sign!
<mumble mumble grzzl>
... time for bed!

(distance of whole trip divided by original speed) = (distance of whole trip divided by faster speed)+(time rested)

I would approach this problem by first understanding the given information and identifying any inconsistencies or potential errors. In this case, it seems that the formula used by the person who solved the problem may not fully reflect the scenario described.

Based on the problem statement, the boy rode for 10km at a certain speed, then rested for half an hour, and then rode the remaining 20km at a speed that was 2km/hr faster. The formula used by the person who solved the problem only takes into account the time rested and the faster speed for the remaining 20km, but does not account for the initial 10km that the boy rode.

Therefore, I would use the formula that you suggested, which takes into account the time for the entire trip and the two different speeds used. This would provide a more accurate representation of the scenario and would give a more precise solution. I would also double check the given information and make sure that it is consistent and accurate.

In addition, as a scientist, I would also consider other factors that may affect the boy's speed, such as terrain, weather conditions, and whether the boy is riding alone or with a group. These factors could impact the overall time and speed of the trip and should be taken into account when solving the problem.

1. How long will it take for the boy to ride the bicycle for 30km?

The time it takes for the boy to ride the bicycle for 30km will depend on his speed. If we assume a constant speed, we can use the formula: time = distance / speed. So if the boy rides at a speed of 15 km/h, it will take him 2 hours to complete the 30km distance.

2. How do I calculate the speed of the boy riding the bicycle?

To calculate the speed, we need to know the distance and time. The formula for speed is speed = distance / time. So if the boy rides the bicycle for 30km in 2 hours, his speed would be 15 km/h.

3. What are some factors that can affect the distance the boy can ride on his bicycle?

Some factors that can affect the distance the boy can ride on his bicycle include his physical fitness, the terrain of the route, the condition of the bicycle, and weather conditions. These factors can impact the boy's endurance, speed, and ability to navigate the route.

4. How can I improve my distance riding on a bicycle?

To improve your distance riding on a bicycle, it is important to build your endurance and strength through regular training. You can also make sure your bicycle is in good condition and choose a suitable route with a favorable terrain. Proper nutrition and hydration are also important for long-distance cycling.

5. Is 30km a long distance for a boy to ride on a bicycle?

The distance of 30km can be considered long or short depending on the individual's age, physical fitness, and experience with cycling. For some people, it may be a long distance, while for others it may be a relatively short distance. It is important to consider these factors when determining if 30km is a long distance for a boy to ride on a bicycle.