Solve Distance Question: Cheetah vs. Antelope

• Thread starter Asteldoth
  • Start date
In summary, to find the distance the cheetah has to cover in order to catch the antelope, we can use equations of motion with constant velocity and set the distances of the two animals equal to each other. Solving for t and plugging it back into the cheetah's equation, we can find the distance it travelled. The distance can be represented by the letter s, which is the distance from the origin of the coordinate system, chosen to be the cheetah's starting position. At time t=0, the cheetah is at position s=0, and the antelope is at position s=35.
Asteldoth
The question I'm stuck on is as follows:
A cheetah sees an antelope and sneaks up on it until it is 35m away. It then charges after the terrified animal at 31 m/s. The antelope simultaneously flees away from the predator at a rate of 20 m/s. What distance does the cheetah have to covrer in order to catch the antelope?

I'm at a complete loss here. If someone could show me how to figure this out, I'd be very greatful. I don't need the answer, just to be guided through the problem. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the general form of equations of motion with constant velocity?

[itex]s(t) = s_0 + v_0 t[/itex]

Write two such equations, one for the cheetah, one for the antelope. Set them equal, meaning the two animals reach the same distance, and solve for t.

Finally, plug that value for t back into the cheetah's equation, and you can find the distance it travelled.

- Warren

I have equations like that... What does the S stand for?

This is only my third week in the class and my teacher is pretty much useless.

s, in this case, is the distance of the animal from the origin. You can also use x or any other letter you want; I typically use s.

The origin of the coordinate system is best chosen to be the cheetah's starting position. At time t=0, the cheetah is at position s=0, and the antelope is at position s=35.

- Warren

Gotcha! Thanks a lot! :D

1. How fast can a cheetah run?

A cheetah can run up to speeds of 70 miles per hour, making it the fastest land animal in the world.

2. What is the average distance a cheetah can cover in a single sprint?

The average distance a cheetah can cover in a single sprint is around 500 meters, but they have been known to run up to 1,600 meters.

3. How does the speed and distance of a cheetah compare to that of an antelope?

A cheetah's maximum speed and distance are much greater than that of an antelope. Cheetahs can run at top speeds of 70 miles per hour, while antelopes can only run at speeds of around 50 miles per hour. Additionally, cheetahs can cover longer distances in a single sprint compared to antelopes.

4. How does a cheetah catch its prey over long distances?

Cheetahs use a combination of speed, agility, and strategy to catch their prey over long distances. They will often chase their prey in a zig-zag pattern to confuse and tire them out before making a final sprint to catch them.

5. Can antelopes outrun cheetahs?

In most cases, antelopes cannot outrun cheetahs. However, antelopes have been known to escape from cheetahs by changing direction quickly and using their agility to their advantage.