1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance/speed trig question

1. Aug 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You are 150 feet away from a road. Looking down the road, you notice a car heading in your direction such that the angle formed by your line of vision to the car and the road is 45 degrees, and this angle is increasing at a rate of 10 degrees per second. How fast is the car traveling?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So I drew the diagram such that I'm standing on the positive side of the x-axis, and such that the car is heading down the y-axis (the road) toward the origin. I'm given [tex] \frac {d\theta}{dt} = 10 [/tex], and I want to find [tex] \frac {dy}{dt} [/tex].

What I did was set [tex] \theta = \arctan { \frac {150}{150-\frac{dy}{dt}*t}} [/tex] then tried to take the derivative of that...but the [tex]\frac {dy}{dt}[/tex] term is leaving me confused as to how to derive such a thing. Ideas?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think it would be simpler to just say [itex]tan(\theta)= y/150[/itex] (I don't know where you got that "120") and use implicit differentiation:
    [tex]sec^2(\theta)\frac{d\theta}{dt}= \frac{1}{150}\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]

4. Aug 20, 2008 #3
    Thanks; the 120 was a typo which I now fixed. When I do that (I used [tex]\tan{\theta} = 150/y [/tex]), I end up getting something like 3000 ft/s, which I think there is something wrong with... why am I getting such a big number?

5. Aug 21, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Remember that the derivative of tan(x) is sec2(x) when x is measured in radians. sec(45)= [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] and you are given that [itex]d\theta/dt[itex]= 10 degrees= [itex](\pi/180)*10[/itex] radians so you should get [itex]dy/dt= (150)(2)(\pi/18)[/itex] which is about 52.2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?