1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance-Time Graph Help

1. Oct 4, 2006 #1
    How would you graph these?
    A. Starting at the origin, travels at 5m/sec
    B.Starting at origin, travels at 7m/sec
    C.starting at origin, remains at rest
    D. Starting 3 meters from the origin, travels at 5m/sec
    I have no idea where to begin.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2006 #2
    you are given units, so set each axis according to units given. How long do you need to carry out these graphs? If it is a long time you should adjust your scale accordingly.
  4. Oct 4, 2006 #3
    Hint: Slope of the d VS t graph is its velocity.
  5. Oct 4, 2006 #4
    So, I know that meters would be on the y-axis and seconds on the x-axis, but I don't know how I would plot those given numbers. The slope for A is 5/1, so I would just go up 5 and over 1 then plot the point?
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  6. Oct 4, 2006 #5
    That's right.
  7. Oct 4, 2006 #6
    Would I draw the line to the right with an arrow on the end?
  8. Oct 4, 2006 #7
    But if your grapps is for like 100 meters i would personally go up by 5 or 10 meter increments because it would make the graph take up less room, just a thought to keep in mind.
  9. Oct 4, 2006 #8
    It is not a big graph with a lot of numbers, but thanks anyways. Thanks for the help ysk1.
  10. Oct 4, 2006 #9
    I never said it had a lot of numbers what i ment was that it if it was drawn out over a long amount of time and distance i would adjust the axies accordingly. I guess i didnt make myself clear...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?