Distance Time Graph: Acceleration & Velocity Calculation

In summary, a light trolley is released from rest down an inclined plane and its times taken to travel from different points to the lower end are measured. The resulting graph of distance vs. time-squared is linear, indicating that the acceleration is uniform. The slope of the graph is equal to half of the acceleration value, which can be used to calculate the velocity the trolley would acquire if it travelled a distance of 400 cm from rest along the same inclined plane.
chikis

Homework Statement

A plank is raised at one end in order to form an inclined plane. A light freely running trolley travels from rest down the plane. The times taken to travel from different points to the lower end of the plank are measured and the following results obtained
Distance (cm) 0 50 100 150 225 325

Time (s) 0 1.4 2.0 2.5 3.0 3.6

Draw a graph to show that the acceleration is uniform and calculate its value. Use this value to calculate the velocity which the trolley would acquire if it traveled 400 cm from rest along the same inclined plane.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have actaully drawn the graph but the answer I got is not ryming with the answer provided for the question.

The scale I used was:

2cm for 25 units on distance axis (vertical or y axis).

2cm for 0.5 unit on time axis (horizontal axis or x axis).

The slope I got was 109.1cm. Another thing that suprised me was that the straight line I got when I joined the points did not pass through the origin; it went a cut the horizontal axis at exctaly 1 sec i.e intercept =1 second . That affected all my calculation badly. What could have been done, am confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the shape of the graph? Is it linear or parabolic?

Flipmeister said:
What is the shape of the graph? Is it linear or parabolic?

It is a linear graph.

chikis said:
It is a linear graph.
Doesn't look linear to me. Note that it does not say "draw a distance-time graph". Could it mean some other graph?

haruspex said:
Doesn't look linear to me. Note that it does not say "draw a distance-time graph". Could it mean some other graph?

We all know that the slope of a velocity time graph gives the acceleration. What if it is a velocity time graph? Am saying that is distance time graph because of what I saw on the table. But the work they did suggest that it could be displacement time graph or velocity time graph.

Am saying this because the values of the distance s on the table was plotted against the square of the time t^2 (s^2) to obtain a straight line passing through the origin.

The slope was then given as (1/2)a.

And the acceleration a was obtained from (1/2)a = change in y axis/change in horizontal axis.

I don't just understand the principle guiding that computation.

Ok, I'm not entirely clear who did what, but we agree that what they're after is a distance v. time-squared graph.
With constant acceleration from a stationary start (time zero), what equation relates distance to time? If you plot distance against time-squared for that you should get a straight line, right? Would you get a straight line if the acceleration were not constant?

haruspex said:
Ok, I'm not entirely clear who did what, but we agree that what they're after is a distance v. time-squared graph.
With constant acceleration from a stationary start (time zero), what equation relates distance to time? If you plot distance against time-squared for that you should get a straight line, right? Would you get a straight line if the acceleration were not constant?

[/QUOTE]Would you get a straight line if the acceleration were not constant?[/QUOTE]
No, I will only get straight line if the acceleration is costant.

This actually what they did:
s = ut + at^2/2

But initial velocity, u = 0

therefore s = at^2/2

slope = a/2
since graph s t^2 is a striaght line, it means that acceleration is uniform.

I think they are making use of the fact that for an object to have constant acceleration, the distance of it travel must be directly proportional to the square of the time of travel.

But am yet to figure out how slope = a/2

chikis said:
This actually what they did:
s = ut + at^2/2
But initial velocity, u = 0 therefore s = at^2/2

slope = a/2
since graph s t^2 is a straight line, it means that acceleration is uniform.

I think they are making use of the fact that for an object to have constant acceleration, the distance of it travel must be directly proportional to the square of the time of travel.

But am yet to figure out how slope = a/2
You have s = at2/2, and you plot y = s against x = t2. So the graph should look like y = ax/2. What slope would such a graph have?

haruspex said:
You have s = at2/2, and you plot y = s against x = t2. So the graph should look like y = ax/2. What slope would such a graph have?

If s the distance = ut+(1/2)at^2
ut = 0
s = at2/2
we are plotting s against time t2
that means the slope
= at2/2/t2

= a/2
I think we are making some sense here.

1. What is a distance-time graph?

A distance-time graph is a visual representation of the relationship between distance and time for a given object's motion. The distance is usually plotted on the vertical axis, while time is plotted on the horizontal axis. The slope of the graph represents the object's velocity, and the area under the graph represents the object's distance travelled.

2. How do you calculate acceleration from a distance-time graph?

To calculate acceleration from a distance-time graph, you can use the slope formula: acceleration = change in velocity / change in time. The change in velocity can be determined by finding the slope of the line connecting two points on the graph. Additionally, the slope of a distance-time graph can also be used to determine if an object is accelerating, decelerating, or maintaining a constant velocity.

3. What does a horizontal line on a distance-time graph represent?

A horizontal line on a distance-time graph represents an object at rest or moving at a constant velocity. This means that the object is not accelerating, and its distance from the starting point is not changing.

4. How do you calculate velocity from a distance-time graph?

To calculate velocity from a distance-time graph, you can use the slope formula: velocity = change in distance / change in time. The slope of the graph represents the object's velocity, so you can find the velocity by finding the slope of the line connecting two points on the graph. Additionally, the slope of a distance-time graph can also be used to determine if an object is moving at a constant velocity or changing its velocity.

5. What are the units for distance and time on a distance-time graph?

The units for distance and time on a distance-time graph will depend on the specific situation or problem. However, distance is typically measured in units such as meters, kilometers, or miles, while time is usually measured in units such as seconds, minutes, or hours. It is important to pay attention to the units when interpreting distance-time graphs and performing calculations to ensure accurate results.