Calculating Relative Speed & Time to Meet: I Can't Find the Distance

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the relative speed of two individuals, A and B, and the time it takes for them to meet for the first time in opposite directions. The relative speed is determined to be 4 m/s, with A running at 3 m/s and B at 1 m/s. The time for them to meet is calculated to be 25 seconds. The conversation also mentions trying to find the distance for this meeting, and suggests using the formula of distance = velocity x time. The conclusion is that A will cover 75 meters and B will cover 25 meters in 25 seconds.
Benjamin_harsh
Homework Statement
What is the Distance in Meeting for first time for opposite direction?
Relevant Equations
relative speed of A and B = 3 + 1; 4m/sec

Time for meeting for first time in opposite direction = 100/(3+1); 25 sec
vZK6bk3.jpg

I able to calculate this 2 things:

relative speed of A and B = 3 + 1; 4m/sec

Time for meeting for first time in opposite direction = 100/(3+1); 25 sec

I can't able to find distance in Meeting for first time for opposite direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Benjamin_harsh said:
I can't able to find distance in Meeting for first time for opposite direction.
You have the time and the velocity, so you should be able to recover a distance.

you say "relative speed of A and B= 3+ 1; 4 m/s". I assume you mean that A's speed is 3 m/s and B's speed is 1 m/s although you don't actually say that. In time t seconds, A, running at 3 m/s will cover 3t m. Similarly B, running at 1 m/s, will cover t m. When they meet that total distance will be the circumference of the circular track, which, I presume, is 100 m (again, you don't actually say that) so we want to have 3t+ t= 4t= 100 so t= 25 s.

Now, what distance will A, running at 3 m/s, cover in 25 seconds. What distance will B, running at 1 m/s cover in 25 seconds?

1. How do I calculate relative speed?

To calculate relative speed, you need to find the difference between the velocities of the two objects. If the objects are moving in the same direction, you simply subtract the smaller velocity from the larger velocity. If the objects are moving in opposite directions, you add the two velocities together.

2. How do I find the time to meet for two objects traveling at different speeds?

To find the time to meet, you will need to use the formula "time = distance / relative speed". First, you need to determine the distance between the two objects. Then, use the relative speed calculated in the first step to find the time it will take for the objects to meet.

3. Can I use the same formula if the objects are starting at different positions?

Yes, you can use the same formula "time = distance / relative speed" even if the objects have different starting positions. However, you will need to take into account the initial distance between the objects when calculating the total distance they will need to travel to meet.

4. How do I find the distance between two objects if I only know the time to meet and their relative speed?

To find the distance between two objects, you will need to use the formula "distance = time * relative speed". Simply plug in the given time and relative speed to calculate the distance between the two objects.

5. What units should I use when calculating relative speed and time to meet?

The units you use for relative speed and time to meet will depend on the units used for distance. For example, if distance is measured in kilometers, then relative speed should be in kilometers per hour and time should be in hours. It is important to use consistent units throughout your calculations.