1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance traveled by a knot in a string ungergoing wave motion.

1. Apr 6, 2004 #1
    Once again, I've become stuck on the easiest problem in the chapter (though I'm steamrolling the tougher ones). I just can't get the concept of this one down I guess. Thanks for any help.

A 4 Hz wave with amplitude 12 cm and a wavelength 30.0 cm travels along a stretched string. (a) how far does the wave travel in 5 seconds and (b) how far does a knot on a string travel in the same amount of time.

Well (a) is pretty cut and paste. Using v=λf we find v=1.2 m/s. 5*v= 6 m. I'm not sure how to go about calculating the distance the knot travels. I'm not sure if I should think about it as as a circular motion (like a cork in a water wave) or if its just a simple harmonic motion (up and down over and over) or what. Any hints to get me started? Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Water waves are a combination of transverse and longitudinal motion. This wave on a string is not as complicated--it's a pure transverse wave. You are on the right track thinking of simple harmonic motion.
  4. Apr 6, 2004 #3
    Great, thanks Doc Al!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?