Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance Traveled

1. Jan 3, 2015 #1
    If we wish to find the distance traveled (not the distance from the origin) by a particle along a path ##C## defined by ##y = f(t)## and ##x = g(t)## we would use this integral:

$$L = \int_C ds = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} \sqrt{({\frac{dy}{dt}})^2 + ({\frac{dx}{dt}})^2} dt$$

My question is, does this give a nonzero answer if the particle were at the same position at ##t = t_1## and at ##t = t_2##?

Also, is this a line integral? I don't know much about line integrals and vector calculus, all I know is work done is a good example of a line integral.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2015 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

You can simply understand it yourself by calculating this integral for [itex] x=\cos t \ , \ y=\sin t [/itex] from [itex] t=0 \ to \ 2\pi [/itex].

4. Jan 3, 2015 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As long as the particle is moving, the integrand is always positive even if the particle ends up where it started.

5. Jan 5, 2015 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that is a line integral and gives the length of the line. If you go around a circle with circumference 100 meters, you are right back where you started but have walked 100 meters, not 0!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook