Distance Traveled: Integral Calc/Line Int?

In summary, the integral given can be used to find the distance traveled by a particle along a path defined by two functions, and it will give a nonzero answer even if the particle ends up at the same position. This is a line integral that calculates the length of the line.
PFuser1232
If we wish to find the distance traveled (not the distance from the origin) by a particle along a path ##C## defined by ##y = f(t)## and ##x = g(t)## we would use this integral:

$$L = \int_C ds = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} \sqrt{({\frac{dy}{dt}})^2 + ({\frac{dx}{dt}})^2} dt$$

My question is, does this give a nonzero answer if the particle were at the same position at ##t = t_1## and at ##t = t_2##?

Also, is this a line integral? I don't know much about line integrals and vector calculus, all I know is work done is a good example of a line integral.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can simply understand it yourself by calculating this integral for [itex] x=\cos t \ , \ y=\sin t [/itex] from [itex] t=0 \ to \ 2\pi [/itex].

Likes DarthMatter, HallsofIvy and PFuser1232
MohammedRady97 said:
If we wish to find the distance traveled (not the distance from the origin) by a particle along a path ##C## defined by ##y = f(t)## and ##x = g(t)## we would use this integral:

$$L = \int_C ds = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} \sqrt{({\frac{dy}{dt}})^2 + ({\frac{dx}{dt}})^2} dt$$

My question is, does this give a nonzero answer if the particle were at the same position at ##t = t_1## and at ##t = t_2##?

Also, is this a line integral? I don't know much about line integrals and vector calculus, all I know is work done is a good example of a line integral.
As long as the particle is moving, the integrand is always positive even if the particle ends up where it started.

Likes DarthMatter and PFuser1232
MohammedRady97 said:

Yes, that is a line integral and gives the length of the line. If you go around a circle with circumference 100 meters, you are right back where you started but have walked 100 meters, not 0!

1. What is the formula for calculating distance traveled using integral calculus?

The formula for calculating distance traveled using integral calculus is ∫abf(x) dx, where a and b represent the starting and ending points of the interval, and f(x) represents the function that describes the rate of change of the distance.

2. How is integral calculus used to calculate distance traveled?

Integral calculus is used to calculate distance traveled by taking the integral of the rate of change of distance over a given interval. By finding the area under the curve of the function representing the rate of change, the total distance traveled can be determined.

3. Can you use line integrals to calculate distance traveled?

Yes, line integrals can also be used to calculate distance traveled. Line integrals are used when the path of the object is not a straight line, and the distance traveled is calculated by finding the line integral of the magnitude of the velocity vector along the path.

4. What is the difference between distance traveled and displacement?

Distance traveled refers to the total length of the path an object has taken, while displacement refers to the straight-line distance between the starting and ending points. Distance traveled can be calculated using integral calculus, while displacement can be calculated using basic geometry.

5. How is the concept of distance traveled used in real-world applications?

The concept of distance traveled is used in various real-world applications, such as calculating the distance traveled by a car or airplane, determining the displacement of an object, and finding the area under a curve in physics or engineering problems. It is also used in sports to track the distance covered by athletes during a game or race.