1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance Travelled Over Time

1. Nov 16, 2005 #1
    Hi, all

I have a question that I've been Googling for the past hour or so, and cannot find the answer to. I seem to remember it has something to do with the logarithmic scale. I hope somebody here can answer it for me:

A car accelerates from 0 to 60km/h in 4.2 seconds. What I'd like to know is how far the car has travelled (In metres) after the 4.2 seconds - when it has attained its 60km/h speed.

We cannot assume a constant acceleration, as the speed increases gradually every second of the 4.2 seconds.

Can anybody help with this?

Cheers
    Nocturne

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2005 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If we do not assume contant and do not have the rate of acceleration as a function of time there is not a unique answer to the question. The distance traveled is determined by the rate of acceleration.

Assuming a contant acceleration you can use:
    [tex] x = \frac 1 2 a t^2 [/tex] with

[tex] a = \frac { \Delta v } { \Delta t} = \frac {60 km/h} {4.2 s} [/tex]

You will need to convert the 4.2 seconds to hours.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  4. Nov 16, 2005 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You need to know what the acceleration of the car looks like, and that isn't that easy to find without making some pretty big assumptions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?