Distance - Finding Equilibrium Point for Net Force

In summary, to find the distance from the Earth where an astronaut will feel no net force when the Earth, Moon, and astronaut are aligned, we can use the equations Fnet=ma and F=(Gm1m2)/d^2. By setting the forces from the Earth and Moon to the astronaut equal, we can solve for the distance from the Earth to the astronaut, represented as d1. This can be done by using the equation (G*m1*m2)/d1^2=(G*m1*m3)/d2^2, where m1 is the mass of the astronaut, m2 is the mass of the Earth, m3 is the mass of the Moon, and d2 is the distance from
ecthelion4

Homework Statement

At what distance from the Earth should an astronaut be placed so that he will feel no net force when the Earth and the Moon and he are aligned?

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma
F=(Gm1m2)/d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume I'm going to do a force annalysis, I'm just not sure how to. Also I thought that maybe if the pull from the moon to the astronaut and the pull from the Earth to the astronaut were equal, he should feel no force.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thats exactly right. Youve got the equations, youve figured it out. Just do the math.

I got a problem though. I have no way of knowing the distance from the moon to the astronaut. If the forces are equal, and I need to know the distance from the astronaut to the earth, then the resulting equation cleared for d1 (d1 being the distance from the Earth to the astronaut), ends up as this:

d1^2=(m2*d2^2)/m3

m2 being the mass of the earth, m3 being the mass of the moon and d2 being the distance from the astronaut to the moon. I got that equation clearing this in terms of d1 :

(G*m1*m2)/d1^2=(G*m1*m3)/d2^2

G is the gravitational constant and m1 is the mass of the astronaut.

Last edited:
ecthelion4 said:
I have no way of knowing the distance from the moon to the astronaut.
Hint: What's d1 + d2 equal?

Chaos, he has the right equations however there's some things that aren't apparent.

Draw a picture first of all of this happening and some things will become apparent.

I did it :biggrin: All I needed was what Doc Al said. d2 would be the distance from the Earth to the moon minus d1, and since I had only one variable left, the rest was algebra. Thanks!

I'd solve it like this instead ->

( G*Mm*m ) / Rm^2 = (G*Me*m) / Re^2

Rm = Re * sqrt( Mm / Me );

Alpha = Rm + Re = 3.84x10^8 m.

Alpha = Re * sqrt(Mm / Me) + Re; Algebraically pull out the Re.

Alpha = Re * [ sqrt(Mm / Me) + 1 ]

Re = Alpha / [ sqrt(Mm / Me) + 1 ]

Mm = 7.35x10^22 Kg; Me = 5.98x10^24 Kg
Re = 3.84x10^8 / [ sqrt(7.35x10^22 / 5.98x10^24) + 1 ]

Re = 3.46x10^8 m

Last edited:

What is distance?

Distance is a measure of how far apart two objects or points are from each other.

How is distance related to net force?

Distance and net force are inversely related. This means that as the distance between two objects increases, the net force between them decreases. Similarly, as the distance decreases, the net force increases.

What is net force?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account both magnitude and direction. It is the combination of all the individual forces acting on the object.

How is net force calculated?

Net force is calculated by adding together all the individual forces acting on an object. If the forces are acting in the same direction, they are added together. If they are acting in opposite directions, the smaller force is subtracted from the larger one.

What is the relationship between net force and motion?

Net force and motion are directly related. If the net force on an object is zero, the object will remain at rest or continue to move at a constant speed. However, if the net force is not zero, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force.