Distance, vector quantities

In summary, a student with a speed of 1.2 m/s can swim perpendicularly across a 40 m wide river and land 30 m downstream. To find the distance moved, the hypotenuse can be solved for using the cosine, sine, and tangent functions. The speed of 1.2 m/s is important for the problem and is a factor in determining the distance moved.
dance_sg
1. In still water, a student can swim at 1.2 m/s. She swims perpendicularly across a 40 m wide river, landing 30 m downstream. In crossing the river, what distance does the student move?

2. d=df-di, cosine, sine, tangent

3. Again, i tried drawing out a picture. I made 40m the x axis, and 30m the y axis. Am i trying to solve for the hypoteneuse? Also, what am i suppossed to do with the 1.2m/s. is it just there to try and mess me up? or is it important for the question?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please don't type in bold face; it is difficult (for me) to read.

dance_sg said:
Am i trying to solve for the hypoteneuse?
That's what I would do.

dance_sg said:
Also, what am i suppossed to do with the 1.2m/s.
Data sufficiency.

sorry. i will remember that for next time.

and ok! thank you. i figured it out

1. What is distance and how is it measured?

Distance is the amount of space between two points. It is measured using units such as meters, kilometers, or miles.

2. What are scalar and vector quantities?

Scalar quantities are physical quantities that have magnitude only, such as distance, time, and temperature. Vector quantities have both magnitude and direction, such as velocity, force, and displacement.

3. How are vector quantities represented?

Vector quantities are typically represented using arrows, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction of the vector.

4. How is distance related to displacement?

Distance is the total length of the path traveled, while displacement is the shortest distance between the starting and ending points. Displacement can be equal to or less than the distance traveled.

5. How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector quantity?

The magnitude of a vector quantity can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse (the longest side) of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In other words, the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the x- and y-components of the vector.