Distance with ultrasonic waves

In summary, the sonar generator on the ship produces ultrasonic waves at a frequency of 2.3 MHz and a wavelength of 4.9 · 10-4 m in seawater. When directed downward, an echo is received 16.2 s later. Using the wave motion formula, the distance can be multiplied by 2 to find the depth of the ocean. However, the amplitude (A) is not given in the problem and needs to be solved for using the given information and the propagation velocity of sound in seawater. This can be found by searching online, with Wikipedia providing a helpful graph. Using the average approximation for the speed of sound, the approximate depth can be calculated, and then refined using the actual
smillphysics
A sonar generator on a ship produces periodic ultrasonic waves at a frequency of 2.3 MHz. The wavelength of the waves in sea water is 4.9 · 10-4 m. When the generator is directed downward, an echo is received 16.2 s later. How deep is the ocean in m?

Frequency=1/T
Velocity=wavelength/T= frequency * wavelength
Wave motion towards +x y=Asin (2*pi*frequency*time-2*pi*x/wavelength)

This echo goes down in and hits the ocean floor and then comes back up. The distance may be multipled by 2.
I want to use the wave motion but A is not given and none of my formulas help me solve for A. so I would say y=Asin *(plug in everything except for x?) And try to solve for x but I have no idea how I go about this. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
smillphysics said:
A sonar generator on a ship produces periodic ultrasonic waves at a frequency of 2.3 MHz. The wavelength of the waves in sea water is 4.9 · 10-4 m. When the generator is directed downward, an echo is received 16.2 s later. How deep is the ocean in m?

Frequency=1/T
Velocity=wavelength/T= frequency * wavelength
Wave motion towards +x y=Asin (2*pi*frequency*time-2*pi*x/wavelength)

This echo goes down in and hits the ocean floor and then comes back up. The distance may be multipled by 2.
I want to use the wave motion but A is not given and none of my formulas help me solve for A. so I would say y=Asin *(plug in everything except for x?) And try to solve for x but I have no idea how I go about this. Any help?

You need the propagation velocity of sound in seawater. Is that not given in the problem statement? If not, you can use Google to look it up.

I actually can't find the velocity of sound is sea water. The problem only gives the information listed above. Any other suggestions on how to solve this problem?

smillphysics said:
I actually can't find the velocity of sound is sea water. The problem only gives the information listed above. Any other suggestions on how to solve this problem?

As I said in my post, if the problem does not state if for you, use the web search engines to figure it out. I initially used Google, but one of the first best hits was at wikipedia.org, so maybe I should have just started there. Go to wikipedia.org, and search on speed of sound in seawater. There is a very helpful graph there, which will give you the speed of sound in seawater versus depth.

First, figure out what a good average approximation is for the speed of sound at all depths, and calculate the answer to your problem. Then using that answer, re-calculate a better answer, taking into account that the speed of sound varies with depth (as shown in the wikipedia graph).

What do you get for the approximate depth answer. What about the refined depth answer?

1. What is distance with ultrasonic waves?

Distance with ultrasonic waves refers to the measurement of the distance between two objects using sound waves with frequencies higher than the human audible range. These waves are typically produced by an ultrasonic sensor and are used in various applications such as object detection and distance measurement.

2. How do ultrasonic waves measure distance?

Ultrasonic waves measure distance by emitting a sound wave and measuring the time it takes for the wave to bounce off an object and return to the sensor. By using the known speed of sound, the distance can be calculated by multiplying the time by the speed.

3. What is the accuracy of distance measurements with ultrasonic waves?

The accuracy of distance measurements with ultrasonic waves can vary depending on various factors such as the quality of the sensor, ambient noise, and the type of surface the sound waves are bouncing off of. Generally, ultrasonic sensors have an accuracy of about ±1 cm.

4. What are the advantages of using ultrasonic waves for distance measurement?

One advantage of using ultrasonic waves for distance measurement is that they are not affected by color or transparency of the object, unlike other methods such as optical sensors. They also work well in a variety of environments, including low light and dusty conditions, making them suitable for industrial and outdoor applications.

5. Are there any limitations to using ultrasonic waves for distance measurement?

One limitation of ultrasonic waves for distance measurement is that they can be affected by temperature and humidity changes, which can alter the speed of sound. Additionally, they may have difficulty accurately measuring distances to small or thin objects, as the sound waves may pass through them without bouncing back to the sensor.