1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance ?

1. Sep 3, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Vehicle drives from a to b (south 100mi), then from b to c (east 200mi), then from c to d (north 300mi). What is the straight line distance from d to a?

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure. Maybe Pythagorean theorem.

3. The attempt at a solution
    No idea really. I drew a diagram and labeled it and thats about as far as I got. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

Yes you will have a right angle triangle. You can figure out the lengths of two of the sides based on the information given in the question. Then use the Pythagorean theorem to get the hypontenuse. Where are you getting stuck?
  4. Sep 3, 2007 #3
    Well, I have not had a math course in about 15 years and this is my first time taking physics. The text that I have for my class is not that good as far as showing examples of how to do things. I drew the diagram and it has 3 given sides, then to find the distance it would be a 4th side, so how do you get a triangle out of it?
  5. Sep 3, 2007 #4

Homework Helper

Draw a line from point a across to the line cd (keep it perpendicular to cd).
  6. Sep 3, 2007 #5
    OK. Gotcha. Now we have a right triangle. Didnt see it at first. Thanks a lot.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?