Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distillate urine

1. Nov 10, 2011 #1
    Hello,
    I'd like to know if it is possible to distillate urine so we can extract potable water from it.
    I know that some of its components, like ammonia, can be found of the resulting liquid but couln't we just heat urine at a certain temperature so it is just the water that is distillated?

Thank you

Jaime

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2011 #2

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

4. Nov 10, 2011 #3
    You can, but don't ever try it. It's the most disgusting thing in the world.

5. Nov 10, 2011 #4

Evo

You're an astronaut on the space station? :wink:

6. Nov 11, 2011 #5

Ryan_m_b

When I was a kid I watched a documentary on the urine purifier that NASA uses, as part of the test they used a machine to measure the purity of water and compared the purified urine to tap water. The former was purer than the later by several orders of magnitude.

7. Nov 12, 2011 #6
    Haha, I mean, at the space station they surely have a good way of doing it, but don't try to do it at your lab or something.

8. Nov 13, 2011 #7

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

9. Nov 20, 2011 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I doubt it's a single distillation step. With any distillation process, the idea is to gradually raise the temperature to evaporate off the volatile components in stages and collect the fractions of distillate. I haven't ever felt the need to look into the boiling temperatures of the components of urine, but there are probably a few that would be in earlier fractions than the water. Though, it probably falls very strongly in the "don't try this at home" category, unless you really hate your neighbors. I'm sure the process doesn't smell very nice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook