Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distilled water

1. Apr 24, 2006 #1
    A couple of days ago I was watching the show Mythbusters, which I find the experiments to be kind of hokey, but they did an experiment and they stated that distilled water does not boil. Is this true, if so does this mean that it does not evaporate faster when heated?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2006 #2

dav2008

Gold Member

I doubt that they found that distilled water doesn't boil...

Can you find which episode it is from the list on here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythbusters (Scroll down to the very bottom see each season in detail)

Edit: I think what you are thinking of is superheating. If you put water in a very smooth container and microwave it, it will boil because there aren't any places for bubbles to form. Of course as soon as you disturb the liquid, it violently boils.

I guess they were testing to see if distilled water was at a greater risk to superheat than regular tap water.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  4. Apr 24, 2006 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

They must have said "Doesn't boil as easily" or something...

5. Apr 24, 2006 #4
    thanx thats quite interesting, ya i think that they were talking about that, after a while it just exploded all over the microvave.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?