1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distilling Santovac Diff oil

1. Feb 3, 2013 #1
    Fellows
    I am new to this exciting forum.
    Mostly involved in applied physics, I need to know if it safe to distill dirty Santovac diffusion pump oil just in a common distiller, exposed to air.
    I am worried about eventual oil oxidation/cracking.

Thanks!

Roberto

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2013 #2

etudiant

Gold Member

Why do you need to distill this oil?
    It is specifically formulated for very low vapor pressure, not readily distilled.
    If it is contaminated, maybe filtration or treatment with an immiscible solvent to extract the contaminant might be simpler alternatives.
    If you must distill, watch your temperatures. I don't know how big a margin there is between vaporization and carbonization of that oil.

4. Mar 12, 2013 #3
    Hello etudiant

Thanks for your comments. I already realized it has a very high boiling temperature, so decided to filter through mole sieve, heating it a bit.
    At my country is hard to get and fairly expensive, so I wish to recover the 500 mL I have.
    Regards
    Roberto

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook