Is it Safe to Distill Santovac Diffusion Pump Oil in a Common Distiller?

• Thread starter VACUUMIST
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oil
In summary, Roberto is new to the forum and has a question about distilling dirty Santovac diffusion pump oil. He is worried about potential oxidation and cracking and is wondering if it is safe to distill in a common distiller. Fellow members suggest alternative methods such as filtration or treatment with a solvent. Roberto has decided to try filtering the oil through a mole sieve and heating it in order to recover the 500 mL he has.
VACUUMIST
Fellows
I am new to this exciting forum.
Mostly involved in applied physics, I need to know if it safe to distill dirty Santovac diffusion pump oil just in a common distiller, exposed to air.
I am worried about eventual oil oxidation/cracking.

Thanks!

Roberto

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why do you need to distill this oil?
It is specifically formulated for very low vapor pressure, not readily distilled.
If it is contaminated, maybe filtration or treatment with an immiscible solvent to extract the contaminant might be simpler alternatives.
If you must distill, watch your temperatures. I don't know how big a margin there is between vaporization and carbonization of that oil.

Hello etudiant

Thanks for your comments. I already realized it has a very high boiling temperature, so decided to filter through mole sieve, heating it a bit.
At my country is hard to get and fairly expensive, so I wish to recover the 500 mL I have.
Regards
Roberto

1. What is distilling Santovac Diff oil?

Distilling Santovac Diff oil is a process of separating and purifying the different components of the oil through heating and cooling. This results in a more concentrated and refined form of the oil.

2. Why is it necessary to distill Santovac Diff oil?

Distilling Santovac Diff oil is necessary because it removes impurities and other unwanted substances from the oil, resulting in a higher quality and more efficient product. It also helps to standardize the oil's properties and ensures consistency in its performance.

3. How is Santovac Diff oil distilled?

The distillation process of Santovac Diff oil involves heating the oil to its boiling point, causing it to vaporize. The vapor is then cooled and condensed back into liquid form, separating the different components based on their boiling points.

4. What are the benefits of distilling Santovac Diff oil?

Distilling Santovac Diff oil has several benefits, including increased purity and efficiency, improved performance and longevity of equipment, and reduced risk of contamination and breakdown of the oil. It also helps to maintain the desired properties of the oil over time.

5. Can Santovac Diff oil be distilled multiple times?

Yes, Santovac Diff oil can be distilled multiple times, depending on the desired level of purity and concentration. However, it is recommended to only distill the oil a few times to avoid altering its properties too much.