1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distinct eigenvalues problem

1. May 15, 2009 #1
    The real matrix A= [tex]

\begin{pmatrix}\alpha & \beta \\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix}

[/tex] has distinct eigenvalues [tex]\lambda1[/tex] and [tex]\lambda2[/tex].
    If P=[tex]

\begin{pmatrix}\lambda1 & \lambda2 \\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix}

[/tex]

proove that P[tex]^{}^-^1[/tex]AP = D =diag{[tex]\lambda1[/tex] , [tex]\lambda2[/tex]}.

deduce that, for every positive integer m, A[tex]^{}m[/tex] = PD[tex]^{}m[/tex]P[tex]^{}^-^1)[/tex]

so i just tryed to multiply the whole lot out, (p^-1 is easy to find, just swap,change signs)
    and i got
    [tex]

\begin{pmatrix}\lambda1(\alpha - \lambda2) + \beta & \lambda2(\alpha - \lambda2) + \beta \\ \lambda1(-\alpha + \lambda1) - \beta & \lambda2(-\alpha + \lambda1) - \beta \end{pmatrix}

[/tex]

am i going the right road with this or should i be approaching it differently?

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Eigenvalues

Just doing the calculation should show that, but I don't get that for the calculation.

If
    [tex]P= \begin{bmatrix}\lambda_1 & \lambda_2 \\ 1 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    then
    [tex]P^{-1}= \begin{bmatrix}0 & 1 \\ \frac{1}{\lambda_1} & -\frac{\lambda_1}{\lambda_2}\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Is that what you got?

You will also want to use the fact that the characteristic equation for A is [itex]x^2- \alpha x- \beta= 0[/itex] so [itex]\lambda_1^2- \alpha \lambda_1- \beta= 0[/itex] and [itex]\lambda_2^2- \alpha \lambda_2- \beta= 0[/itex].

4. May 15, 2009 #3

Nice reply!

Perhaps, something like:

[tex]\lambda_{1} = \frac{\alpha \pm \sqrt{\alpha^{2}+4\beta}}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\lambda_{2} = \frac{\alpha \pm \sqrt{\alpha^{2}+4\beta}}{2}[/tex]

not sure though how it will solve the problem.

5. May 15, 2009 #4

Couldn't you prove it by showing that the columns of P are the eigenvectors of A?

6. May 15, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, if you already have that theorem. But the obvious way to do it is to just do the product [itex]P^{-1}AP[/itex].

7. May 15, 2009 #6

Thanks for all the replies. i had it wrong when getting p^-1 i only went and forgot 1/detA!!!

so for P^1AP i get [tex]
    = \begin{bmatrix}\lambda_1 & \lambda_1 \\ \alpha-\lambda_1^2/\lambda_2+\alpha/\lambda_1 & \alpha - \lambda_1^2/\lambda_2\end{bmatrix}
    [/tex]

I thought diag([tex]\lambda_1[/tex],[tex]\lambda_2[/tex]) = [tex]
    D= \begin{bmatrix}\lambda_1 & 0 \\ 0 & \lambda_2 \end{bmatrix}
    [/tex]

i still think im doing something wrong
    confussed!

8. May 18, 2009 #7

After repeatedly trying and not getting anywhere im after realising i had the question wrong P should read [tex]

\begin{pmatrix}\lambda1 & \lambda2 \\ 1 & 1 \end{pmatrix}

[/tex]

So im off the try this new version.

But if i wanted to prove it like you said random variable how would i go about that?
    take
    [itex]
    \lambda_1^2- \alpha \lambda_1- \beta= 0 and
    \lambda_2^2- \alpha \lambda_2- \beta= 0
    [/itex] and let them = columns of p?

9. May 19, 2009 #8

right so now i got 1/([tex]\lambda_1-\lambda_2[/tex]) [tex]\begin{bmatrix}\lambda_1(\alpha - \lambda _2 ) + \beta & \lambda_2(\alpha - \lambda_2) + \beta \\ \lambda_1(-\alpha + \lambda_1) - \beta & \lambda_2(-\alpha + \lambda_1) - \beta\end{bmatrix}

[/tex]

not sure where to go from here...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook