Distinct particles detection

In summary, the problem involves calculating the difference in time (Δt) between two particles with masses m1 and m2 crossing a distance L with momentum p. The first part of the solution involves using the formula for time (t) and velocity (β) to find the time it takes for each particle to cross the distance. In the second part, the detector's 300 ps resolution is explained as the standard deviation of the Gaussian distribution of the measurement errors. The goal is to distinguish between the two particles with two standard deviations, which would require a time difference of 600 ps. Therefore, the delay between their arrivals should be 1200 ps.
carllacan

Homework Statement

Suppose teo particles with masses m1 and m2 enter a detector both with momentum p. Calculate the difference Δt of the times they need to cross a distance L.

Suppose Δt can be measured with a 300 ps resolution. How long must L be if we want to distinguish particles with m1 from particles with m2 with two standard deviations if their momentums are p?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part is easy. I used [itex] \beta _1 = \frac{p}{E_1} = \frac{p}{\sqrt{p^2+m_1^2}}[/itex] and [itex] t_1 = \frac{L}{\beta_1}[/itex], and similar for the second particle. I'm not sure if that formula for the time is entirely correct, but I get to the same result if I integrate the velocity.

But I am lost in the second part. What exactly does it mean for the detector to have a 300 ps resolution? And how does it relate to the standard deviations?

If there was no mention of the s.d. I would suppose that for the detector to distinguish between two particles they have to enter it with at least a 300 ps difference. But what about the s.d.?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
carllacan said:
What exactly does it mean for the detector to have a 300 ps resolution?
The measured time will deviate from the actual arrival time in a random way for each measurement, and the standard deviation is 300 ps. As an example, the measurement will often be wrong by 100 or 200 ps, but rarely by 1000 ps because this would be more than 3 standard deviations away from the mean.

Likes carllacan
mfb said:
The measured time will deviate from the actual arrival time in a random way for each measurement, and the standard deviation is 300 ps. As an example, the measurement will often be wrong by 100 or 200 ps, but rarely by 1000 ps because this would be more than 3 standard deviations away from the mean.

Oh, so the time resolution just means the standard deviation of the Gaussian? I haven't been given a definition either in the lectures or in the class notes, and I don't find any (useful) definition on any book or in the internet.

Thanks for your time.

Well... probably. Sometimes other definitions are used for "resolution", like FWHM, but without more context I think it is save to assume it is the standard deviation of a Gaussian.

Likes carllacan
mfb said:
Well... probably. Sometimes other definitions are used for "resolution", like FWHM, but without more context I think it is save to assume it is the standard deviation of a Gaussian.

Well, I'll have to make do with that one and see how it goes. Many thanks!

One more thing, just to get it right: my approach now is that the probability for a particle that enters at time t1 to be detected at time t is
[itex]p_1(x)=\frac{1}{\sigma\sqrt{2\pi}}exp\left[-\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{t-t_1}{\sigma}\right)\right][/itex],
and likewise for the second particle that enters at time [itex]t_1 + \Delta t[/itex]. Now the question is: how much needs [itex] \Delta t [/itex] to be so that the two curves can be resolved within two standard deviations? That is, they must intersect at a distance [itex]2\sigma[/itex] from each peak.

So I set [itex] p_1(2\sigma)=p_2(-2\sigma)[/itex] and I get [itex]\Delta t = 4 \sigma [/itex], so there should be a delay of 1200 ps between their arrivals. Right?

The two standard deviations are the full separation already, so they should be 600 ps apart I think.

Likes carllacan

1. What are distinct particles?

Distinct particles are individual units that make up matter. These can include atoms, molecules, ions, and subatomic particles such as protons, neutrons, and electrons.

2. How are distinct particles detected?

Distinct particles can be detected through various methods such as microscopy, spectroscopy, and chromatography. These techniques involve using specialized instruments to observe or measure the properties of particles.

3. Why is it important to detect distinct particles?

Detecting distinct particles is important for understanding the composition and behavior of matter. It allows us to identify and study different substances, as well as track changes and reactions between particles.

4. What are some applications of distinct particles detection?

Distinct particles detection has many practical applications, including in medicine for diagnosing diseases and developing new drugs, in environmental science for monitoring pollution, and in materials science for creating new materials with specific properties.

5. What are some challenges in detecting distinct particles?

One of the main challenges in detecting distinct particles is their small size, which can make them difficult to observe and distinguish from other particles. Another challenge is the complexity of some particles, which may require advanced techniques and equipment to detect.