Distinct powers of z=cosa*pi+isina*pi

• Thread starter StephenPrivitera
  • Start date
In summary: So there are q distinct powers of z=cosa[pi]+isina[pi] if a is rational. Irrational?There are q+n distinct powers of z if p is even, and 2q+n if p is odd.
StephenPrivitera
How many distinct powers of z=cosa[pi]+isina[pi] are there if a is rational? Irrational?
Concerning the rational part of the question, it was easy to show that if a=p/q, then there are q distinct powers of z if p is even, and 2q if p is odd.
(q+n)p[pi]/q=p[pi]+np[pi]/q (p is even)
(2q+n)p[pi]/q=2p[pi]+np[pi]/q (p is odd)
I was wondering for this instance if there is a more direct way to get the answer (as opposed to just chosing q+n for n). For example, I at first attempted to write an equation such that the difference between two angles is a multiple of 2[pi].
n2p[pi]/q - n1p[pi]/q=k2[pi]
k is some positive integer
(p/q)[pi](n2 - n1)=k2[pi]
But this method has poor results.
n2 - n1=2kq/p
As for the second instance, I haven't the slightest clue how to go about showing that there is an infinite number of distinct powers. My equation above certainly would have no application here because there should be no two angles that have a difference that is a multiple of 2[pi]. And as for just arbitrarily selecting values of n, I don't think that will get me very far since I will have to select an infinite number of n's to show there is no repeat.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by StephenPrivitera
For example, I at first attempted to write an equation such that the difference between two angles is a multiple of 2[pi].
You're looking for the smallest natural number n that satisfies

na[pi]= k*2[pi], or
na=2k

Now, let a = p/q, then
np=2qk

p and q have no common factor larger than 1.
So, If p is odd, then p=k, so n=2q.
If p is even, then p=2k, so n=q.

As you already stated correctly.

Now, what solutions does na=2k have if a is irrational? :wink:

Originally posted by arcnets

So, If p is odd, then p=k, so n=2q.
If p is even, then p=2k, so n=q.
Your work has the exact same result as mine (n=2kq/p), but I was unable to determine what value k takes on.
I need to know how you determined p=k ... before I can answer this:
Originally posted by arcnets

Now, what solutions does na=2k have if a is irrational? :wink:

Originally posted by StephenPrivitera
I need to know how you determined p=k
OK. You know that each integer can be factorized into primes in a unique way. Examples:
60 = 2*2*3*5
85 = 5*19
Low let a be rational, i.e. a = p/q. If p and q have any common prime factors, then we can divide them out. Let's assume we have already done this, so p and q have no common prime factors.

Now, if np = 2qk, then the prime factors on both sides are the same.

Now, let p be odd. This means, n is even. Let n = 2n'.
Then, 2n'p = 2qk, or n'p = qk.
Any prime factor of p cannot be in q, so it must be in k. And vice versa, no prime factor of q can be in p, so it must be in n'.
This yields p = k and q = n', so n = 2q.

Now, let p be even. Then let p = 2p', so 2np' = 2qk, or np' = qk.
The same argument as above yields p' = k and n = q.

1. What does the term "distinct powers" mean in the equation z=cosa*pi+isina*pi?

The term "distinct powers" refers to the powers of pi in the equation. In this case, the powers are cos(pi) and sin(pi), which are both equal to -1. Therefore, the equation can be simplified to z=-1+(-i), or z=-1-i.

2. How do you calculate the value of z in this equation?

To calculate the value of z, you can use a calculator or a computer program to evaluate the cosine and sine functions at pi, multiply them by pi, and then add the results together. In this case, the value of z is -1-i.

3. Can you explain the significance of using pi in this equation?

The use of pi in this equation is significant because it represents a full rotation in the unit circle. Therefore, the equation is essentially using the properties of the unit circle to calculate the value of z.

4. How is this equation related to complex numbers?

This equation is related to complex numbers because it involves both a real and an imaginary component. Z represents a complex number in the form of a+bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. In this case, the real part is -1 and the imaginary part is -i.

5. What are the applications of this equation in science?

This equation can be useful in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It can be used to model and solve problems involving waves, oscillations, and rotations. Additionally, it can also be used in geometric and trigonometric applications.