1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distinct primes

1. Aug 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let p and q be distinct primes. Suppose that H is proper subset of the integers nd H is grou under addition that contains exactly three elements of the set {p,p+q,pq, p^q, q^p}. Determine which of the following are the three elements in H:
    a) pq, p^q, q^p
    b)p+q, pq,q^p
    c) p, p+q,pq
    d) p, p^q,q^p
    e)p,pq, p^q

2. Relevant equations

no equations for this problem
    3. The attempt at a solution
    The back of my textbook says the answer is e, but I thought it would be c . I don't understand why the answer is e because if a group is under addition, the additive properties of the group should be p+q . the properties for a group under multiplication would be p*q.
    a:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

p*q ia p added to itself q times. So obviously if p is in a subgroup of the integers with addition, then so is p*q.

It can't be c. If it were c, then it would contain co-prime integers, hence all integers, but you are told it is a *proper* subgroup.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?