Distinguished physics professor busted with kilos in Argentina, possibly framed

In summary, the professor thinks that his rival, who stopped his pay while he was incarcerated, set him up for drug smuggling. He is also surprised that the drugs were not LSD, which he thinks mathematicians and physicists would use.
Physics news on Phys.org
Am I the only one who had a good laugh when reading the article?

But come on, if I were caught smuggling drugs I'd play dumb as well.

Wha? Drugs?! OUTRAGEOUS!? I am a distinguished physics professor, why would I need drugs? The university obviously set me up because they are jealous!

“I am one of the most published physicists, and really he hasn’t done much that is of interest,” Frampton said,

I found that even funnier after reading the article.

No kidding! That article reads like a bad soap opera (forgive the redundancy).

phoenix:\\ said:
Wha? Drugs?! OUTRAGEOUS!? I am a distinguished physics professor, why would I need drugs? The university obviously set me up because they are jealous!
The article does not say he is accusing the university of setting him up. He is accusing a particular person, with whom he has a rivalry, of having unfairly stopped his pay while he is incarcerated trying to clear the charges.

Does a physics professor decide he'll try picking up some drugs on an overseas trip for the hell of it? One of his students thinks the notion he suddenly turned to drug smuggling is a joke:

Frampton’s disappearance had been a topic of speculation around the department, said Eby, who thinks there is little question that Frampton is innocent.

“He is human, but this is so far out of his character that I think I actually laughed when I heard about it,” he said.

Actual drug smugglers, on the other hand, will try anything to get drugs across borders. His suitcase was probably switched for a loaded one at his hotel, and would have gone missing before it got to him at the airport when he arrived in the US.

The article does not say he is accusing the university of setting him up. He is accusing a particular person, with whom he has a rivalry, of having unfairly stopped his pay while he is incarcerated trying to clear the charges.

Yes, I was in error. But I was thinking of something when I was reading it which is why I stated that as such.

Actual drug smugglers, on the other hand, will try anything to get drugs across borders. His suitcase was probably switched for a loaded one at his hotel, and would have gone missing before it got to him at the airport when he arrived in the US.

While true, that is one of many possibilities. Another possibility is, he was smuggling drugs. The, "I would've never thought he was capable of..." comes to mind and is often said because people are people with their own motives.

It does read like a soap opera, and that seems to be the professor's fault since he decided to make comments about his university and the provost to a news reporter. There are plenty other articles online that are less dramatic, notwithstanding how bizarre this entire story is:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/03/20/decorated-north-carolina-physics-professor-in-argentine-jail-on-drug-charges/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2119039/Professor-Paul-Frampton-British-scientist-68-arrested-trying-smuggle-cocaine.html

Here's a blog entry on the situation written by an apparent colleague:

http://motls.blogspot.com/2012/03/trf-guest-blogger-paul-frampton.html#more

Last edited:
What do you think are the chances the drugs were in fact his? I honestly think they're basically slim-to-none, though it seems he's certainly guilty of lacking common sense no matter how the outcome plays out. Other articles report he claims to have traveled to South America to meet a model he initially met online.

Last edited:
It sounds like he was lured there by an internet scam artist, who may have rigged his suitcase while he was not watching it.

Shame on phoenix:\\ for presuming this man's guilt. Maybe he made a stupid judgment call flying to Argentina in order to meet some internet model, but it sounds like he's the victim of a drug scam and a jealous provost who should be removed from his position.

1. What happened in the case of the distinguished physics professor busted with kilos in Argentina?

The distinguished physics professor was arrested in Argentina after being found in possession of several kilos of illegal substances. It is believed that he may have been framed for the crime.

2. How was the physics professor possibly framed?

The details of how the physics professor may have been framed are still unclear. It is possible that someone planted the illegal substances in his possession or manipulated evidence to make it appear that he was involved in illegal activities.

3. What is the background of the distinguished physics professor?

The distinguished physics professor has a long and prestigious career in the field of physics. He is known for his groundbreaking research and has received numerous accolades for his contributions to the scientific community.

4. What is the potential impact of this case on the field of physics?

The case has caused shock and concern within the scientific community, as it reflects poorly on the integrity and reputation of a highly respected physicist. It may also raise questions about the handling of evidence and the potential for corruption in the legal system.

5. What is being done to address this situation?

The physics professor's legal team is working to prove his innocence and investigate any possible motives for framing him. The scientific community is also calling for a fair and thorough investigation to ensure that justice is served.