How to Find and Prove All Distinct Ideals of a Ring?

• Thread starter me@math
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ring
In summary, finding all the distinct ideals of a ring can be done easily in a Principal Ideal Domain, where every ideal is a principal ideal. However, for other rings, there may not be a general rule and it may require further analysis to determine all the ideals.
me@math
How do you find all the distint ideals of any ring? I am able to find may ideals but how do you prove that there are no more ideals.
Eg Let R = Z[1/n] = {x/n^i | x [itex]\in[/itex] Z, n is a natural number}

I can see that x/n is an ideal for every x [itex]\in[/itex] Z.

Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you're asking. x/n appears to be an element, and an ideal is a subring.

Although I'm not sure, I'll try to answer something that could be want you want:

The integers has a special structure called that of a Principal Ideal Domain. A principal ideal is the ideal generated by a single element: that is an element together with all of its multiples. In a Principal Ideal Domain, every ideal is a principal ideal, so it's easy to identify them all.

For other rings, however, there is not necessarily a general rule like that. It's not obvious to me whether Z adjoined with a reciprocal integer (Z[1/n]) is a PID, though it may be.

What are distinct ideals of a ring?

Distinct ideals of a ring are subsets of a ring that satisfy certain properties. These properties include closure under addition and multiplication within the ring, as well as closure under multiplication by elements from the entire ring.

What is the significance of distinct ideals in ring theory?

Distinct ideals play a crucial role in ring theory as they help to understand the structure and properties of rings. They can be used to define the quotient ring, which is important in many areas of mathematics including algebra and number theory.

How are distinct ideals related to prime and maximal ideals?

Prime ideals are a special type of distinct ideals that have the property that if the product of two elements is in the ideal, then at least one of the elements must also be in the ideal. Maximal ideals are also a type of distinct ideals, but they are the largest possible ideals in a given ring and cannot be properly contained in any other distinct ideals.

Can a ring have more than one distinct ideal?

Yes, a ring can have multiple distinct ideals. In fact, it is very common for a ring to have infinitely many distinct ideals. For example, in the ring of integers, every integer has its own distinct ideal. This is also true for many other rings, such as polynomial rings.

How do distinct ideals contribute to the classification of rings?

Distinct ideals are a key factor in classifying rings into different types, such as commutative rings, integral domains, or fields. The presence or absence of distinct ideals with certain properties can determine the type of ring it is, and can also help to classify rings into smaller subcategories.