How do distributed loads affect angled connecting rod systems?

In summary, the attached image shows a problem with a connecting rod and bolt system. The dimensions x,y, and z show the location of the problem. There is a distributed load acting across the lower beam of w lb/ft. Given the allowable shear and normal stresses of the blot and rod respectively, I need to find w.
stinlin
I've attached a picture of the problem - I'm NOT looking for a solution, just an explanation.

You can see the dimensions x,y, and z. That box is a detail of the connection at the rod interface. There is a distributed load acting across the lower beam of w lb/ft. Given the allowable shear and normal stresses of the blot and rod respectively, I need to find w.

Again, I don't want a solution to this problem, I want an explanation of how you apply the concept of the distributed load to that angled connecting rod/bolt system. How do the forces go into the components of it? I know that when you're computing internal reactions, you can't find the "center point" of the distributed load, but this is different I guess...

My thoughts were that you can do a moment about the wall point to find a reaction at the joint. With that, you can then determine what forces will be acting at the rod/bolt interface and then you can find what maximum w will cause failure.

Help maybe?

LINK TO IMAGE

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/8696/cablejm2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The connections at the wall are drawn poorly on my part - those are NOT moment connections (i.e. they're pins...they cannot hold moments)

Because the load is even, it acts at the center of the beam. Now you have a concentrated force and a location.

Now assume the bolt fails in shear, and work to find the value of w.

Then assume if fails in normal, and find the value of w.

The smaller value of w is the answer.

And where are my angles in the other thread?

Haha - I'll give you a all my data for that last thread when I get back from the Union here at Purdue.

As for this problem that's kind of what I'm doing, but for some reason, I'm getting an answer about 0.150 kips/ft too much. I can only assume you sum moments about the wall point there to get w in terms of that force, right?

And also, the force you find at that connection (being a two force member) is directed along the slanted rod. Is that force there going to be the one that causes shear failure? I'm assuming yes...

Your process seems right. Just look at it more and think.

I've been using Arctan (4/3) instead of Arctan (3/4) this WHOLE time.

That's what my problem was. Thank you.

SO! My question then, if it's a distributed load that's uniform, you can assume it to be acting at that point and solve it like a frame to find reactions and get the failure loads? Right?

it acts at the centroid of the distribtion. In your case, the middle of the beam.

1. What is a distributed load?

A distributed load is a force or weight that is applied over a wide area, rather than at a single point. It is typically represented by a graph or diagram showing the magnitude and distribution of the load over the area.

2. How does distributed load affect stress?

Distributed load can cause stress in a structure by creating a force or weight that is distributed unevenly across the structure. This can result in different areas of the structure experiencing different levels of stress, which can lead to deformation or failure if the stress is too high.

3. What is the difference between distributed load and point load?

The main difference between a distributed load and a point load is the area over which the force or weight is applied. A point load is applied at a single point, while a distributed load is spread out over a larger area.

4. How is distributed load calculated?

The magnitude of a distributed load is typically calculated by dividing the total weight or force by the area over which it is distributed. This can be done using mathematical equations or by creating a graph to represent the load distribution.

5. How can distributed load and stress be managed in structures?

Distributed load and stress can be managed in structures by using appropriate design techniques and materials. This can include reinforcing certain areas of the structure, using materials with higher strength and durability, and properly distributing the load across the structure to prevent areas of high stress. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help to identify and address any potential issues with distributed load and stress in a structure.