Solving Distributed Load Homework: Reaction Forces at A and B

In summary, a distributed load in a structural system is a force that is applied over a length or area rather than at a single point. To calculate the reaction forces at points A and B in a distributed load, the total load must be determined and the principles of statics can be used. Distributed loads are commonly found in beam and truss structures, but can also be present in frames and arches. The position of a distributed load greatly affects the reaction forces at points A and B, with the distribution along the structure also impacting the magnitude and direction of the forces. To solve distributed load homework problems, common methods include using equations of statics, drawing free body diagrams, and breaking the load into smaller components for easier calculations.
Air

Homework Statement

To find the reaction at A and B. (See image below)
DistributedLoad.jpg

Homework Equations

Moments and Area

The Attempt at a Solution

Area of load: (0.3)(6) = 1.8kN
Moments about A: -(6)(0.15) + RB(0.6) = 0 --> RB = 1.5kN

4. The error and question
I get the reaction force at B to be 1.5kN but the answer states that it is 0.45kN. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
"-(6)(0.15) " is wrong.

Oh yes. It's -(1.8)(0.5). Found 1.8 in the step earlier and forgot to put that in. Thanks.

Also, what is that dot they have in the bar mean? At point A.

I would first double check my calculations to make sure there were no errors. If I am confident that my calculations are correct, I would then consider the possibility that the given answer may be incorrect. I would also check for any assumptions made in the solution and make sure they are valid. If the problem still persists, I would seek help from a colleague or instructor to discuss and clarify the solution. It is important to thoroughly understand the problem and solution in order to accurately determine the reaction forces at A and B.

1. What is a distributed load in a structural system?

A distributed load in a structural system is a force that is applied over a length or area rather than at a single point. It can be represented by a continuous line or curve on a diagram.

2. How do you calculate reaction forces at points A and B in a distributed load?

To calculate the reaction forces at points A and B, you will need to first find the total load applied over the length or area of the distributed load. Then, use the principles of statics to determine the distribution of the load and the corresponding reaction forces at each point.

3. What type of structural systems typically involve distributed loads?

Distributed loads are commonly found in beam and truss structures. They can also be present in other types of structural systems, such as frames and arches.

4. How does the position of a distributed load affect the reaction forces at points A and B?

The position of a distributed load can greatly affect the reaction forces at points A and B. If the load is closer to one of the points, that point will experience a greater reaction force compared to the other point. The distribution of the load along the structure will also impact the magnitude and direction of the reaction forces.

5. What are some common methods for solving distributed load homework problems?

Some common methods for solving distributed load problems include using the equations of statics, drawing free body diagrams, and applying the concepts of equilibrium. It is also helpful to break the distributed load into smaller, simpler components to make the calculations more manageable.