1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distributed Load

1. Nov 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://postimg.org/image/7vpxry28t/

Can someone explain how they calculated the force R representing the distributed load?
    Did they even make use of the value "800N/m" from the question?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The calculation for R is included in the solution section. You don't need to use the 800 N/m unless you calculated the value of R using the formula for the area of a trapezoid:

R = (0.6/2)*(400 + 800) = 360 N

I think they are trying to show how to break up a trapezoidal load into a constant distributed load and a triangular load.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  4. Nov 26, 2013 #3
    Yes, they used the 800, but they obtained the force R result a stupid (IMHO) way. The way I would have done it would have been to note that the average distributed load over the length of the member is 600 N/m. If we multiply that by the length of the member (0.6), we get 360 N. They did something like the following: the minimum distributed load over the length of the member is 400 N/m, so this contributes 400 (0.6) = 240N. Over and above that, the remainder of the load varies from 0 at the left end to 400 at the right end (400 to 800, minus the 400 already accounted for). The average of this excess is (0+400)/2 = 200. The load contribution of this excess is (400/2)(0.6)=120N. The total load R is again 360 N. As I said, their method is kinda stupid.

Chet

5. Nov 26, 2013 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted