1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distributing Cards problem

1. Apr 24, 2009 #1
    Hello:

I have a question about the number of ways to distribute a 6 hand card with at most 1 void in a suit (so you can have void in either spades, clubs, diamonds, heart, but you can't have a void in both spades and clubs, etc).

Would the solution just be the ways to distribute a 6 hand card (52 choose 6) - the ways to distriute cards with a void in 2 suits? (4 choose 2)*(26 choose 6)?

The reasoning is say the we have a universe of the total number of ways to distribute 6 cards, with no conditions. Included in that universe is the number of ways to distribute 6 hands with voids in 1 suit, and then included within that subset is the number of ways to distribute a 6 hand card with voids in 2 suits, etc. So to find the number of ways to distribute cards with either no void in any suite or with 1 void in a suite, wouldn't we just subtract out the number of ways to distribute cards with voids in 2 suits since that subset also includes the number of ways to distribute cards with voids in 3 suits?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2009 #2
    Pretty good reasoning, but it has a very subtle error which I admit took me a long time to figure out.

You have overcounted the number of hands with 2 or more voids, specifically the number of hands with exactly 3 voids.

Here's why. Using your scheme for counting the number of hands with 2 or more voids, suppose the two suits chosen to be used are hearts and clubs. Then suppose when you pick 6 of those 26 cards, you choose 6 hearts.

Those hands get counted again if the two suits chosen to be used are hearts and diamonds, and then you pick 6 hearts.

I don't know if it's easier to try to count those overcounts or to start over with a somewhat different scheme. The basic method of using 52 C 6 - (number of hands with 2 or more voids) is good, either way.

4. Apr 26, 2009 #3
    You're right! Thanks.
    I decided to do it like this:
    the total would be => number with no voids + number with 1 void. This way, there shouldn't be overlap. And I would use the Inclusion/Exclusion principle for both of these.
    Thanks!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook