1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distributing energy among bosons

1. Jul 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a system with equidistant energy levels how many ways can you distribute 10 units of energy among 5 bosons? The energy of the ground state(i=0) is 0, and the energy levels are at equal distances from each other.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2013 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That depends on whether you need to need to distribute exactly 10 or at most 10. Let's assume that it's exactly, i.e. E = 10 has been given.

Maybe it's useful starting with a simpler example with 3 units of energy. You can give them all to one boson, i.e. (3, 0, 0). Or you can give them to another boson: (0, 3, 0) or (0, 0, 3). Question for you: are these the same situation or can you tell the bosons apart?

Then there is of course (2, 1, 0). What other possibilities can you see? (No complex math here, you can just draw them out on a piece of paper).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted